laptop asleep and cannot see 2nd patition

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsazsa2010

Solid State Member
I am having 2 problems, which maybe related or not.

The first is my laptop went into a sleep mode and will not wake. I have tried the correct button press, removing and reseating the RAM and hard reseting the laptop. Nothing has made a difference. Does anyone have any ideas here.

The 2nd problem to test to see if it is a hard drive issue I have removed the hard drive and placed it into a caddy and attahced it to another laptop. The hard drive is a 120gb partitioned into 2x60gb. I can see and access the bootable what would have been to C: drive in the broken laptop. BUt cannot see the 2nd drive through the caddy.

So this is now getting beyond my understanding of what to do next. Is there something that I can do to see the 2nd partition? Or is this pointing towards a hard drive failure that is causing both problems.

Did you try pressing the power button? You didn't say what button. Did you try the sleep button as well?

May just be a letter already being used. Can you see it in Disk Management? If you do, change the letter.

Yep tried the power button and the FN+ wake button and get no response from the laptop.

When I connect the hard drive to another laptop via a caddy one of the drive loads and the other cannot be seen.

Did you try removing the battery and running it only on AC power to try to turn it back on?

Also, you never said if you could see it through Disk management. Go to start > right click Computer > Manage > on the left-panel, click Disk Management. See if you can find the drive in the lower-section of the screen, and see if both partitions are visible, and what the statuses of them are.

I have found the drive in disk management, The laptop I am using has a work NAS h: drive already mapped and it was 'hiding' the drive.

On the sleeping issue. I have tried the removing the battery and starting. Also both battery and power cord and holding the power button then starting. All have no response. It might sound like a silly thing to do but while I had the ram out I power the laptop on and there was no difference . Also now I have removed the hard drive I tried and no difference.

Glad you got the HDD issue sorted.

So there's no lights or anything at all when you attempt to power it back up? The screen doesn't even light up and fans don't turn on?

no fans or screen. There is a small amount of heat for the vents. The HDD access light flashes 2 or 3 times then nothing.

Hmm that's odd... If you can, try taking off the bottom panels (e.g. hard drive panel, RAM panel, etc.) and see if you can see a battery on the motherboard. Some laptops you can remove the battery by unplugging a connection on it and plugging it back in to clear the CMOS. You'll want to have the battery out of the laptop when you do this, as well.

I have tried unscrewing everything and was able to prise the keyboard side as far as I dare without risking snapping anything. There were about 5 or so buttons on the motherboard, which I pressed. I could not get to the underside and the battery was not visible through the panels. So no change when I tried switching on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom