Little upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I have no use for another main system. This still serves a purpose, but is not personally used often. It runs 24/7.

edit: If I were to get a new heatsink for this thing, I want it quiet. I do not remember if Xigmatek was quiet. Now, with my case fans, I really can't tell, as they are probably the same or louder than my Xigmatek fan.

I was amazed by this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

I think we (well you mostly, Trotter) always suggested this or one like it to members that need a nice, but cheap heatsink/fan.

I had a variation of that cooler, the Freezer 64. It worked well, but I now have this one:
Newegg.com - GELID Solutions Tranquillo CC-TranQ-01-A 120mm Hydro Dynamic CPU Cooler

I got it for a review and am still running it. I cools better than the Arctic Cooling one did, especially with Folding. It mounts north-south, though, so it may or may not be a good choice for you. My case has a top exhaust fan right above it so it is perfect for my setup. Oh, and as my review says, it is dead quiet.

As per my current server, This, too will be "Open Air". So space is not a consideration. I heard good things about Geil, but never used 'em. I'll be sure to read the review.

Yeah, I have no use for another main system. This still serves a purpose, but is not personally used often. It runs 24/7.

edit: If I were to get a new heatsink for this thing, I want it quiet. I do not remember if Xigmatek was quiet. Now, with my case fans, I really can't tell, as they are probably the same or louder than my Xigmatek fan.

I was amazed by this: Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

I think we (well you mostly, Trotter) always suggested this or one like it to members that need a nice, but cheap heatsink/fan.

Ouch, that has really gone up in price. It's a decent heat sink for a dual core but I would get something else at that price.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 92mm Sleeve Bearing Fan CPU Cooler

If I remember correctly that should deliver as good of cooling performance as the Arctic Cooling but at a better price.

Ok, scratch that idea... I got a better offer.

From Fat.Cloud, I am getting this: Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RMA'd and board only. for $90 shipped. I'll swap this into my system, and use the other one for my server.

I asked Slay, and he says this is a very good deal: Micro Center - Intel Core i5 655K 3.2GHz Socket 1156 Processor OEM 695403
For $120, i get an i5 655K. Oem, but who cares? Just no pretty box and pitiful H/S.

I already have DDR3 RAM waiting for it. I have my drives. I have another PSU laying around that can take the extra haul. Already have a case, see what heatsink I should get, based on your suggestions. That should be it.

Edit: I'll get the CPU a little later, to not tip off my wallet.

Thanks, Clown. But, no. I'm about at my limit for my CC this month. If you have it in the near future, I'll be sure to contact you. :)

I have some, but they are all 775. I don't think they will fit on the new 1156. For free? That'd help. Maybe just OC it a little bit for folding. I think a slight OC is fine with stock, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom