AMD turion upgrade? Or Vista to windows 7?

Which?

• CPU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2Apache

Beta member
Hi, I currently have an HP special edition laptop (2008) with a Turion X2 64 TL62 processor 2.1Ghz speed, would an upgrade to the TL68 2.4Ghz render any worthwhile performance increase, both use the same socket. Or would upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 be a smarter move performance wise. Happy enough with Vista except the slowish boot up times. Laptop runs 4GB ram and 320GB HD

Personally I think Windows 7 would be a good move. I was a lot like you as far as being satisfied with vista but out of nowhere made the leap to vista on a similar system and holy crap it was awesome. I know vista had problems at first and they slowly worked out the kinks but for me 7 was an immediate upgrade altogether.

Thanks for the input, I've heard the battery life and boot time is improved with the upgrade to Windows 7 and that's a big plus. Either mod would run me about $100.00 at discounted ebay prices. Any problems with the move from Vista to Win7, and did you use the 'upgrade' version of the OS to keep your files ect intact?

I checked the specs on the Turion X2 TL 68 with those of my TL 62 and the only difference is the .3Ghz speed increase far as I can tell, there could possibly be BIOS issues though, I'm wondering if the extra speed would be noticable at all anyway quite frankly as I never heard of anyone doing a similar thing. Both have the same Cache numbers so no improvement at the back end.

I don't think you'd notice a mere .3 Ghz increase at all.
if I had a choice I'd definitely go with windows 7, however I think you might be better off saving that money towards a new laptop.

I thought of that too...But less than 3 years ago this was the bee's knee's lol. Paid $1100.00 for it, so an extra $100.00 wont be so painful...It constantly amazes me how things move so quickly in the tech world...Now we're at quad cores 8GB ram, 7'500 rpm 640GB hard drives, and amazing HD GPU's ....Obsolesence in 2 years lol. But my laptop has done all I have asked of it and continues to do so. Thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom