Computer restarting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

justlooking

Beta member
Hello to all; I have an Emachine T2542 with Windows XP Professional; I was restoring the computer settings to an earlier date under SYSTEM RESTORE. As it was loading, I noticed that it was going extremely slow. Then the progress just stopped. So like the computer idiot I am, I shut off the computer. When I turn on the computer, the "E" sign comes on for a second or 2 and then goes off. This cycle keeps repeating itself; while the can keeps going between the hard drive light flashing and the 3.5 drive flashing. (like it's stuck). I can hit the "F8" key and go to the [page that lets you do other things boot, safe mode;etc. But no matter what I go to; It does the same repeating sequence. Any Ideas?????? Help.... Thanks, Chris

hey justlookin,

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive.You will get a screen after you boot from the CD about instalation and reparing your system. just press "R" and it will do the repair.

Sign
Codes

Yea, although using xp's repair system rarelly works, it never repairs correctly. It'll leaves corrupt files everywhere depending on what goes on during the repair. I've used it once and it actually worked on a clients computer and left no errors or anything. So I wish ya luck but you'll probably just need a fresh install because the restore system changes files on-the-fly.. so basically when you're doing your restore, if you turn your computer off, you'll be stuck with a corrupt os.

welcome to TF =)

Re-Install XP without formatting...dunno if it works. :confused:

You can enter ur BIOS by pressing "Del"
then looks for a settings called something similar to "boot sequence"or "primary boot device"

then change the primary boot device to cd drive ;)
Also check your power settings. Make sure the red switch on the power supply is set to the right setting.
Sometimes wrong power setting does this, not usually.
Anyway good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom