HP Pavilion DV7 1135-NR Keyboard and Touchpad not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpedient

In Runtime
The title says it all. Also, if I am at the wrong section please do move it sirs.
More details:

Windows Vista (from HP)

In POST, I can select the buttons for the menu ie. boot options, bios menu, etc. BUT when I go in the menu I can't do anything. I can't select another menu tab, even pressing right/left/up/down won't do any good. The only thing left to do is turn off the laptop by holding the power button.

The boot selection always comes up whenever I open the laptop (safe mode, start windows normally, etc.) (because I can't turn it off via clicking, I hold the power button). Whenever it comes out, I CAN navigate by pressing up and down and hitting enter to select a choice.

It will load windows but when it comes to the login screen, I can't use mouse and keyboard so I can type my password. I can't do anything. Only thing left to do is hold the power button.

How can I overcome this problem?
I think it's software related because there's a time that I can use the keyboard but how? Windows doesn't give me a chance to login and search for any problems.

Edit: I also tried to boot a Windows 7 dvd to try the keyboard if it is working in that environment but no success.

I tried an external mouse, it's a USB and optical mouse... It doesn't work...
I wanna try an external keyboard but I don't have one, but I think the mouse test was enough proof that there is something wrong, right?

Edit:

Does this have to do with updating the BIOS?
Whenever I'm faced with a computer problem, it's always something new and I've found ways to find a fix, but this one is just a dead end because it won't let me type or even select any menu options for example the bios setup.

A lot of times USB mice don't work until you're actually in the OS, because of drivers. USB keyboards usually work right off the bat though (including BIOS).

Okay, I will buy an external keyboard just to check this out.

If it works? How do I fix the keyboard of the laptop itself? Do I have to always have an external keyboard? That will ruin the purpose of having a laptop, hehe!

And also, if it doesn't what does that mean? It's broken internally?

If the USB one works, then it could be as simple as taking the laptop's keyboard off (usually a few screws and plastic clips in most laptops) and checking the connection, or it could mean replacing the keyboard.

If your computer is still under warranty, I would consider backing up your data and sending it in instead of replacing the keyboard yourself so you can save money.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will buy an external keyboard later to test it. One thing still confuses me is why is it working in some places... Will reply after testing it.

But you said it's not fully working when it does work in places, right? So like I said, it could be a connection problem, or something faulty happening with the keyboard itself.

Hello I'm here again to update... Unfortunately I can't get my hands on a USB keyboard, hehe!

But, I managed to format/reinstall windows using another optical mouse. Long story short, I got into the desktop of windows using the on-screen keyboard (lucky).

I manage to make the keyboard work but not before doing something funny. I'll explain.

I turn on the laptop, when in the desktop, I can't use the keyboard and touchpad, but I can use optical mouse (external).
I made the keyboard work by putting the laptop into sleep mode, then waking it up. But not the touchpad. Touchpad remains unresponsive whether it is on/off.
So I decided to flash the BIOS, thinking that it is a BIOS problem. Upgraded from f.22 to f.45 I think.
Still same situation, keyboard still working after waking up, but not before sleeping. THIS IS WEIRD! :D

So what could be the problem? Anyone? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom