Hard Drive not working- Cpu detects it but no the partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Congojack

Beta member
Hello i'm new to posting on these forums so i going to try explain this as much as i can in as little time.

I was downloading a 20gig torrent the night before on my pc, went to turn it on the next day (using windows 7) and as soon as it gets to the windwos screen it restarts, i turned off restart on crash to see what is wrong (i am quite tech handy and i am able to problem solve) and a blue screen comes up. Started in safe mode, stuck at classpnp.sys and then crashes. Tried all the solutions online to no avail. I went to reinstall windows on it and here is the strange thing. The hard drive is a seagate 500gig i dont have the model number on hand at the moment, the ONLY partition showing up the the 100mb system reserved partition on the setup screen, the 500gigs isnt atall. The computer recognises it's there on bios boot up. I went to Startup repair to command prompt to rename classpnp but i am not getting C:\ it is x:\windows which i have learned is a virtual drive of some sort. i have tried plugging it in to another cpu via sata/usb cradle but to no avail.

It's very strange and i cant find the answer anywhere the harddrive itself is about 6 months old so it';s still quite young and didnt have alot on it, now i bought a VST which is something i use for my music production and had to download it, was very very big we talkin 60 gigs a nd then another 30 gigs but this was over the space of a few weeks. Just wanted to give you some background on it, it's a custom built cpu, the other components apart from the ram which is 2 years old are about 5 years old. i dont have model numbers or anythign with me but i hope this is enough information that perhaps you might be able to derive some sort of conclusion from.

I thank you very much in advance for your time and i hope we can figure this out as there is very valuable information on it (customer accounts for the family gym) and it wont be good if they are lost. Thank you.

Try Seatools and run diagnostics on the drive. If it recognizes it.

Also, get a Ubuntu Live CD, and see if Linux recognizes the drive.

Right will do thanks for the rapid reply bud, I will be home in the next couple of hours so i will try that and update you.

If all else fails and you don't mind wiping out the hard drive, you could always delete all of the partitions on the drive... thus it will go back to being 1 large partition... and hopefully it will all show up... format the drive and such. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom