laptop decision, gpu vs. cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadzdude

Beta member
Hi all, I'm trying to decide on new laptop. I'm be going to a university in a couple of months and so a desktop is not really being considered at this moment. I will be using the pc for school related tasks, such as word, power point, internet/email, maybe some basic video editing, etc. but I would also like to be able to play some of the newer games as the come out in med-high detail, as games advance over the next few years, I can go down a resolution or something lol, but I'd like the laptop to last me around 4 years.
I have narrowed it down to 3 different laptops

*$679.99, A8-3500m cpu, hd 6750m gpu, 6g ram, bluray, fingerprint reader

* $799.99, i7-2630qm cpu, gt 540m gpu, 6g ram

*$799.99, i5-2410m cpu, gt 555m gpu, 4g ram

$799.99 would be about the max I would spend on the laptop(though saving $120 is an attractive option), so right now it is pretty much between the differences I would find from the cpu vs gpu, as well as weighing in some of the smaller stuff and brand name build quality(HP, Lenovo, Asus). Also in the last one I'm not sure if 4g ram would be enough, and if a dual core would last long in this quickly advancing world.

Right now I am using an either 2006 or 2007 hp slimline desktop with one 1g ram and an IGP, and I would like this laptop to be much faster performing all the little things in the background as well as the more intensive tasks.

Please help me decide, thank you!

Get the ASUS. It has a better CPU and ample GPU. Also comes with more RAM, which will help gratefully in video editing. ;)

I'm an ASUS fanboy, but all things considered, the ASUS laptop reigns supreme.

Based on pure specs I would go for the Ideapad, since memory is usually easily upgradeable, whereas a GPU isn't. Better GPU will help more than a better CPU in any GPU-accelerated video editing, which nowadays most are.

But that's just me. You'd be just as well going with the ASUS since you'll get a stronger CPU and probably won't need to bother doing anything with the RAM.

According to that, the 540m is #96, and the 555m is #62. The 555m gets a good 20% more in all the benchmarks.

Oh, and an interesting note, go look at #254

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom