540m or 525m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarxy

Solid State Member
Hi people, I wanna buy a new laptop but can't decide which one should I choose, the one that has the 540m but this one laptop is 15.6" or the other one with 525m this one has 17.3", is there a big difference between the two cards in gaming performance? Here are the specs:
Notebook Acer AS5742G-484G75Mnkk
Processor: Intel Core i5-480M (2.66GHz / 2.93GHz to, 3MB Cache)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT 540M - 2 GB DDR3
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz
Hard Drive: 750 GB 5400rpm SATA
Display: 15,6 "(39.62cm) HD Ready (1366x768) Acer CineCrystal glossy LED-backlit display
Camera: 1.3 MPx webcam with microphone
Optical Drive: DVD recorder
LAN: 10/100/1000 Mbps
Wireless LAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/Draft-N
Interfaces: HDMI port, RJ-45 (LAN cable input), VGA port for external monitor, microphone input, 3 x USB 2.0, Headphone Audio
Card Reader: 2-in-1 Card Reader
Features: Kensington Lock
Operating system: Linux (bootable)
Weight: 2.6 kg
Color: Black
Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion battery
Warranty: 2 years for individuals 1 year of legal persons (1 year international warranty)

Laptop Dell Inspiron N7110
Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M (3/2 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT 525M - 1 GB DDR3
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz
Hard Drive: 640 GB SATA 5400 rpm
Display: 17,3 "(43.94cm) HD + (1600x900) WLED backlight with
Camera: 1 MPx webcam with microphone
Optical Drive: DVD recorder
LAN: 10/100 Mbps
Wireless LAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a / ​​g / n
Interfaces: HDMI port, RJ-45 (LAN cable input), VGA external monitor port, eSATA port, microphone input, audio output for headphones, 2 x USB 3.0, USB 2.0
Card Reader: 8-in-1 card reader
Extras: Bluetooth
Operating System: Free DOS
Weight: 3.15 kg
Color: Black
Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion battery
Warranty: 3 year international warranty "Carry-in-Service"

And one more question: would the anti-aliasing and physx effects work well with 525m or they gonna cause to much video lag and would it be better with 540m with those effects?Also is a 100 Mbps Lan good and for what maximum download speed it will allow for downloading? 2mb or less?

Get the Acer. 540m is better than the 525m. It should play most new games at medium at least.

Not sure about anti-aliasing.

100Mbps should be fine. It depends on your internet speed, set by your ISP.

Isn't the 540m basically just an overclocked 525m or am I thinking of a different card?

If that is the case I'd go for the Dell in order to get the newer Sandy bridge i5.

I'm more for the 525m only because of the 17,3", wouldn't the blu-ray movies look better on such a screen and resolution? I play games like crysis & crysis 2, gta IV, gothic 4, WoW and other mmorpgs like Aion. If this card allows me to play most new games with mixed settings like some settings high other medium but if the most are on high plus to be able to use anti-aliasing and physx then I'll be happy. I saw two videos in youtube that show how crysis 2 is running on advanced settings and at 1366x768 resolution the one video was for 540m and the other one for 525m and they had the settings the same for both and the average fps was for 540m 25 fps, but fot 525m 24fps.

I forgot to ask about the intel integrated graphics so here goes: If I chooce lets say the laptop with the Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT 525M - 1 GB DDR3 , can I change the way intel graphics and nvidia graphics work? What I'm saying is to be able to disable the Intel integrated graphics card from the bios, so that I can use only the nvidia high performance card always, just as if I disable the ati powerxpress on an amd laptop and let it on dGPU mode so that it can use only the high performance GPU, cuz if it's made to only use the integrated Intel card and to switch to nvidia only when is needed then I wouldn't like using an Intel laptop.
I found out that the nvidia/Intel laptops uses optimus technology which makes it to use the two cards this way: to be able to use the nvidia GPU only when a game has started and whenever is staying on the desktop it switches back to the intel integrated card, and what I've found in google is that there is no way we can make it to use as main card only the nvidia GPU is this really true? Oh and could the Dell Inspiron series has removed the optimus thingy or they have it as well, just like the Dell XPS?

I've decided to take the laptop with the 17.3" that has the GT 525M cuz it seems this one is good for gaming as well plus on 17.3" I would enjoy more the movies too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom