1 keyboard, mouse, monitor - 2/3 devices? What to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SethWB

Solid State Member
Hello. Before you start posting suggestions, please take the time to read my specs and situation. Most people just start telling me I need a simple KVM switch, but I have already purchased a KVM switch from TRENDnet (the TK-209) and this isn't what I need.

I work equally between 3 different locations, home, office, and girlfriend's apartment. I have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse combination at each of the three locations (that's 3 wide screen monitors, 3 keyboards, and 3 mice total). I also have two different laptops (one mac, one pc), and a desktop at Home (for my home business, not work).

The solution would be an item that meets the following criteria:

1. simple button/quick switch option for changing between target computers (like how the KVM has 2 buttons, press 1 and it displays input from PC 1, etc.)

2. when pressing the above button/toggling between PCs I need it to bring the mouse and keyboard input along with it (not all of my monitors are USB, and I don't think the USB inputs communicate via the graphics port - is this correct?). The problem with the KVM switch is that I have to unplug my mouse and keyboard every time I want to switch computers.

Kind Regards,
Seth B. W.

So you have a KVM, and what do you plug into the KVM input? Just your monitor via VGA or DVI and you plug your mouse/keyboard into the monitor?
And either your mouse or keyboard is PS/2, correct?

If that is the case, get a PS/2 KVM and purchase a small USB to PS/2 adapter.

And if you do not like the prospects of that solution I do not have any other ideas

Mac - DVI.
Desktop - DVI
Laptop - VGA or DVI
Monitor 1 - VGA or DVI
Monitor 2 - VGA or DVI
Monitor 3 - VGA or DVI
KVM - VGA female only (so I have adapters)

None of the monitors have USB ports, but they are very nice wide screen LCD monitors. I'm not even sure if the mouse & keyboard, which are both USB, would work going through the VGA or DVI port. Do you know? I've tried but it did not work immediately so I put that idea on the shelf. I also read somewhere that USB only works through very specific Dual Link DVI devices (mine are all Single Link).

Mac - DVI.
Desktop - DVI
Laptop - VGA or DVI
Monitor 1 - VGA or DVI
Monitor 2 - VGA or DVI
Monitor 3 - VGA or DVI
KVM - VGA female only (so I have adapters)

None of the monitors have USB ports, but they are very nice wide screen LCD monitors. I'm not even sure if the mouse & keyboard, which are both USB, would work going through the VGA or DVI port. Do you know? I've tried but it did not work immediately so I put that idea on the shelf. I also read somewhere that USB only works through very specific Dual Link DVI devices (mine are all Single Link).

YOu sound like you're thinking backwards... Monitors don't connect via USB. They connect via HDMI, DVI, or VGA. Mice/keyboards connect through either PS/2 or USB.

You need a multi-KVM switch is all, from what it sounds like. If the mice/keyboards are all PS/2, just get a KVM with PS/2 inputs for mouse/kb, and either PS/2 or USB on the other end to plug into the computers.

For monitor, use adapters for whatever connector (DVI or VGA) your monitor is to the KVM, and then from KVM to computers (DVI or VGA, depending on connector of computer and connector of KVM).

Thanks for taking the time to understand my situation MGA - the KVM sure does have USB ports on it, however the really odd thing about it is that there are ONLY input ports for usb, one is labeled keyboard the other is labeled mouse - the ONLY output is for a VGA monitor

The VGA cables that it shipped with all had usb/ and one eighth inch male ports coming out the end though.... double you tea f mate?

Thank you for clarifying my needs a bit carnage - you are correct I need a KVM type switch that can consolidate inputs from all three devices, **** it would even be cooler if it could consolidate the sound inputs as well, however I need it to be portable, but that is why I am posting here to try and find someone with experience to give me some helpful suggestions.

I know that monitors don't connect via USB carnage, but this KVM I have and the supplies it came with imply that the USB devices (keyboard & mouse) should be used THROUGH the monitor cables, and yes in some monitors you can do this, but not a lot of them - and I don't really want or need one that does it seems like an awesome idea being that it requires less cabling, but I am not going to buy a bunch of new monitors and computers just to accomodate the kvm and I'm sure you wouldn't want me to either (unless you're selling :))

I believe I stated in my post earlier ALL my mice and keyboards (only have one of each) are USB.

I looked a little bit, and found both DVI/USB and VGA/USB KVM's. Depending on what you want to spend, you could go either route. The DVI/USB ones were all over $120; the VGA/USB ones are much cheaper (most under $100).

There's this one: Newegg.com - IOGEAR GCS634U MiniView USB KVM Switch with audio and cables

4 computers connections (2 detachable if you don't need 1 or both); VGA connector, USB, and audio.

This one is similar, but uses both hotkeys (like the one above) or manual push-button switches: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817402023

Thank you carnage - I am beginning to wonder if the cables I've been receiving are not your standard VGA's but are actually composed of USB, VGA, and Audio. Unfortunately I'm going to have to grab a USB hub on top of that to make this work. I did not know there were DVI switches, I'm going to take a look at those. Are there any that you suggest?

Thanks for the find, these look like they all have good ratings, especially considering how many people bought them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom