hard drive disappears from windows explorer (xp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jippy

Beta member
Assuming that all the physical connections are still in place(not sure why they wouldnt be) is this pretty surely hard drive failure? I guess I'm asking if there are things I should check before I yank the drive and replace it. It's a secondary backup HDD btw.

TIA.

Easiest way to check if its drive failure is to get the diagnostic program from your HDD manufacturer's website and run the tool on it. They usually give a Windows-installable version, or a version you can burn to disc and boot off of.

Do what MoM said and check Disk Management first to see if its just losing a drive letter or if you can't see it at all when it happens.

Well before creating the thread I had looked in disk management and the drive wasn't showing up there. But after posting the thread I rebooted and the drive appeared both in disk management and in the my computer window. But accessing it didn't work too well. There are two partitions on it. One seems to be completely hosed. WHen trying to access windows tells me it's not formatted. The other one seems accessible, I mean I could look at the files on it, but I had my case open and when it was reading it the drive was making a horrible racket.
And now again it is not showing up in either disk management or in windows explorer.
Guess I'll try finding the manufacturer diagnostic cd that was suggested. But in my unprofessional opinion, the drive seems to be toast.

If you have anything you need on it, back it up.

Is the noise its making a clicking, or more of a grinding noise?

Like I said, back up the data, then try the diagnostic program.

HDD's tend to do that with age; Like I said, back up any important data you want to keep, and then run the diagnostic program on it to see if there are any outstanding issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom