Hard drive not booting winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jules7

Beta member
hi,
after my winxp had some virus and malware problems i thought it would be clever to install win7 on a new hard drive and use my winxp hard drive for datas (and not lose all datas due to new windows installation).

I unplugged the winxp hdd and installed win7 on a new hdd.
now if i plug in both Hard drives and try to boot Win7 it will stuck at the loading screen.
In the BIOS the win7 hdd is master IDE and the winxp hdd is slave IDE.
If i want to boot only winxp the computer will restart itself all the time after the loading screen.
I did not touch the winxp hard drive (I even unplugged it before installing win7) so why does it not work again??

Now im in huge troubles, i need the data from the winxp HDD :-/

Are you sure that the drives are configured the way you say? Not only via the BIOS but by the cable connections as well? Have you tried inserting the Win7 DVD and tried to repair the startup?

You are going to have to use something like EasyBCD to add an entry for XP with the Win7 boot menu. That will be how you have a dual boot setup.

I don't think he wants a dual boot setup; I think he just wants to boot to 7, and retrieve his data from the XP drive, Mak.

Do like suggested, however, and boot off of the Win7 DVD and try repairing your startup config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom