Upgrade GFX Card Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevezor

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade to a new video card. However, I'm very novice when it comes to the technicalities. I have 1 PCI-Express X16 slot available. A recommendation for a GFX Card and Power Supply would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
-Thanks

Steve
Pittsburgh, PA

Were gonna need to know what you have for a cpu and ram. And also what size\model case. Then we can determine what will work and what will fit.

sorry guys, i see the link i posted was wrong. heres the correct link

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+4GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive/1243488.p?id=1218240379197&skuId=1243488&st=HP Pavillion p6654y&cp=1&lp=1

its an AMD Athlon II 2.8 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SD Ram, hope this helps. all the specs im sure you're looking for can be found at above link. sorry, I'm a nub ha.

That link works! what games are you looking to play? and what are you looking to spend?

I'm currently playing Left 4 Dead 2, but i have to play it in 16:9 (blehhhh) so games like that. I'm not trying to get into Cyrsis 2 or anything that powerful. I'd be willing to spend ~$125, and I'm guessing I'd need a power supply (currently running an anemic 250w) as well? also, do you guys prefer passive or fan-cooled? are 2.0 cards compatible with a 1.0 slot?

I'd be willing to spend $125-$100 for the card alone, and i wouldnt have a problem paying for a quality power supply

are PCI-Express 2.0 x16 cards compatible with a 1.0 x16 slot? i thought i read that somewhere. if thats true, i'm sure that will allow more options

Yes they are backwards compatible.
Roughly put, the PCIe x16 2.0 has higher bandwidth but most of the cards available will not saturate it.

L4D2 runs on the Source engine, same one used for L4D, TF2, and Portal 1&2 (to name a few).
My friend has no problems running them on a 9800GT.

Knowing your total budget for both would help to tag a PSU for you.
The HD 5770/6770 or GTS 450/GTX 550Ti might be what you're looking for.

yeah the Radeon 5770 is a good choice, lots of my friends have it and play their games without any problem.
As for a power supply, I suggest sticking with either Corsair or Antec because they are good brands and their PSU are some of the best.
The Corsair TX650 is the PSU I am going to be buying and it sells for around 110$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom