Riddle me this Biostar! (OC-Ethernet prob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Ok so as everyone probably knows I ate it hard by drilling through the rad on my i5 water loop. So I have to resort to smaller AMD dual core rigs until I can afford to replace it. I tried using my server but this latest FREE MMO lags it.....wtf. Yea that's what I said. Anyways, so I stuck my guest PC parts in my main case because the board supports SLI. Dual 465s and an OCed 5200+ I says, should be good enough? :hrmph: HA! I was wrong.

Any time I turn on the OC portion in the bios the ethernet port on the board gets blocked from Windows. I know the ***** is on because I can see the blinky lights on the back of my case. Turn the OC portion off and it pops right up. Can anyone explain that?

Parts in question are a Biostar TPower N750 motherboard with an X2 5200+ running all my usual stuff an Win 7 X64. I had this problem before but totally forgot about it since I have never actually used the board in my main rig before.

I just updated the bios and still have the same problem. It doesn't even show up in the device manager when I turn the OC portion on. I should mention, I'm not even OCed yet. Luckily I keep a wifi card around to post to you fine people to see if anyone knows what's up. :wink_tongue:

Have a look at this and see if this helps you out any:
Biostar TPower N750 Nvidia VGA Driver 7.15.11.7516 For Vista Download & Update - Update NVIDIA Video Card drivers for Windows Vista / Windows Vista64
Als doing SLI mode on your mobo with those 2 GTX 460's is possible:
Biostar N750 & GTX 460 SLI - PC Perspective Forums

I do understand the first link I gave you was vista x86 but thats the onlything close enough tha would work out properly.
There is a windows 7 beta driver, but I don't think you want to tango with it not unless you can get it to excute properly and keep your sanity at the same time.

It's not the drive that is the problem since right now I'm not in OC mode in the bios and the ethernet is working fine. It's just the fact that when I enable the OC options in the bios the onboard ethernet just disappears from Windows. Nothing in the network menu, nothing in the device manager. Almost like it is internally disabled when trying to OC or something. I don't get it. The worst part is, it does this even when I don't change any settings at all besides enabling the option to OC.

I know what your saying dude, like I said disable your OC mode and reupdate the drivers again and see what happens.
Don't know what it is about AM2+ and AM3 mobo's but they don't like any high OC while using other system parts.
My MSI sli mobo is like that sometimes, none the less if all else fails epically, why not consider going for a pci ethernet card ?
They aren't that expensive and is much simpler at times when your system does not want to cooperate with you.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the pci clock isn't quite stable with the overclocking enabled. If the pci bus can't be locked maybe you can try raising the SB voltage a notch.

PCI-E is locked at 100mhz I know that for certain because I never raise it. Thing is, I could understand it being disabled due to stability IF I was OCing, but it gets disabled even without touching anything. Basically it gets left the same except i ungray the options in the bios. I ditched the board for my better Asus 750a anyways then fixed my i5 water loop so this can go under the WTF books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom