My First High-End Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridalin

Solid State Member
Well, this is my first post here. I thought I should get a little feed-back on my build before I buy it. I am on a budget of around $1,300 to $1,400, so nothing beyond reason plz.

CAS: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive LIGHTSCRIBE
I just pick any CD, as long as it has lightscribe, I need it for work.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
I heard the I7 x4 Is better then the Six. (Being Hyper-Threaded) I also heard that Six cores is useless for some games...True?
Changed to: i5 2500k

SSD (BOOT): Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
First, SSD, no Idea if this brand is good or what.

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module
Only question here is, 'Is the 2000MHz worth getting over the 1600MHz?'
Changed to: Corsair 2x4gb"

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s

POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply
Changed to: Mk II 750W

VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card
Huge ATI/AMD fan.

I will just use a couple HDD from my old comp for this one for a DataDrive. But, what do you think , is this machine worth getting or should I revamp it some? (My first comp over $700. Clueless when it comes to high-end stuff like this.)

Reasons for comp: SC2, Crysis 2, Home Theater (Should get Bluray reader, but I'll get that later.)

Edit: Also, if there are cheaper parts that wont hinder performance any, I would love to save a buck!

I wouldn't go for the first generation intel CPUs.
The 2nd generation CPUs beat them clear out of the water.
Look into the i5-2500k but you don't need to change the motherboard since the one you chose is for 2nd generation intel CPUs but you will need to change your RAM to something that is 1.5V

Intel Core i5-2500K and CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB I found rapidly, though I'll browse the site a while longer to make sure. (Glad, those two are $60 cheaper..lol) I found the Ram to be Corsair, which I think is a good brand. I'm using them now and they still haven't failed me.

Though, that ram is awfully high, not sure if the first slot will have enough room.

Though, that ram is awfully high, not sure if the first slot will have enough room.
Were you planning on getting an aftermarket CPU cooler? If not the stock hs/f won't overhang the ram slots.

Also, your PSU links to an 850w. Personally would suggest this 750w, its more energy efficient and a more reputable brand (also cheaper after MiR).

Were you planning on getting an aftermarket CPU cooler? If not the stock hs/f won't overhang the ram slots.

Also, your PSU links to an 850w. Personally would suggest this 750w, its more energy efficient and a more reputable brand (also cheaper after MiR).
I am planning on finding a new cpu cooler, but not right away, so I'll shop for something after I see the ram and mobo together.

That, PSU, Gotta love back to school savings...lol, thanks for the recommend.

Edit: Whats are your thoughts on water cooling, I never used it so I was wondering if that would be better in this case? (with the fan being very close to the memory slots.)

I would go with this G.Skill memory it has the same speed, latencies, color and price but the heatspreaders are a little shorter so they won't interfere with a good cpu heatsink.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

The Corsair H80 cools as well as the best air-cooling heatsinks but it's expensive for the performance.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

I just bought one of these and it's cooling my i7 2600K pretty good, mid 60C @ 5GHz. While it is costly, it is a really good deal when you start pricing out the components separately.
EK-KIT H3O - Supreme HF 240 Water Cooling Kit Products Model: EK-KIT-H3O-HF240 [EK-KIT-H3O-HF240] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

The best air cooling heatsink is the Noctua NH-D14, it will fit using the G.Skill memory (install memory before the heatsink) but it won't fit with the Corsair.
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

If you just want a heatsink that is better than stock then I would go with the Corsair CAFA70, it's priced right.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm Dual-Fan CPU Cooler

Thanks, that ram also has free shipping which is always a good plus+!
As for the cooling, I'll just get the CORSAIR CAFA70 and upgrade it to liquid cooling later in time.

If you may, I am having a war over which Video Card I will get, I was looking at the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6970 (Mentioned in first post), but the ASUS GeForce GTX 570 also looks interesting. Cheaper, better heatsink, and has better AA ability. From what I read they both are similar, but the GTX preforms better on 1920x1080-1200 res.

P.s. I love Eyefinity, but in all likely hood, I wont be needing it/using it.

I perfer Nvidia cards myself but that's just my opinion. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever card you end up choosing.

If you like the idea of Eyefinity, I believe Nvidia has a similar thing, but it requires SLI (2 cards). There are alternatives like Multi Monitor Adapter for Maximum Performance | TripleHead2Go and kegetys.net - SoftTH Software Triplehead that work with single cards, should you ever want to go that way. Also the GTX 570 is better than the 6970. I hope this has pushed you toward Nvidia. :)

Also, you may want to check out the ASUS GTX 560 ti TOP as I saw several benchmarks that put it close to the normal GTX 570 cards and its about $100 cheaper.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom