Graphics Card Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisgartside15

Beta member
Hi guys,

I am looking for recommendations on the best graphics card my current set-up will support...

I'm not the best with computers, mine was custom built however not by myself so I will provide all the information I can :p

Motherboard: Asus P5G41C-M LX
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
PSU: WinPower 500w

If you need any more info please ask!

Will this set-up support top of the range graphics cards? If not, what would be the best one too buy? All help appreciated folks!

Cheers :grin:

It's a WinPower 500W. He needs to upgrade. One the manufacturer is not recommended. Two, you don't have enough power.

PSU: WinPower 500w
I've not heard of WinPower before, typed in google "Winpower 500w" and came across this:
The winpower will blow up and burn all ur hair off, collapse in on itself and create a singularity where your entire house will collapse into until it becomes unstably dense and explodes spreading the entirety of your house and contents across the universe in the form of hawking radiation, leaving you, standing in the completely empty crater where your house was, bald, and with a charred hard drive in ur hands......
But if its been working fine for you, kudos.

Short answer is no, your current setup will not support the top range of graphics cards. But to help you find the best card for your needs there are three questions.

1) What do you use your computer for, or desire better graphics for?
(videos - what resolution? games - what games? other - other what?)
2) Is the video card the only thing you want to upgrade, or do you want to get a juicier PSU to to support a better card if need be?
3) Budget

Also might help to pop open your case and measure from the back cut-outs (where the graphic card sits) to whatever obstruction you run into first (usually a hard drive cage).

Come back, Chris. We are here and ready to help. A recap on the questions so far is....

1) What do you use your computer for, or desire better graphics for?
(videos - what resolution? games - what games? other - other what?)
2) Is the video card the only thing you want to upgrade, or do you want to get a juicier PSU to to support a better card if need be?
3) Budget

Also might help to pop open your case and measure from the back cut-outs (where the graphic card sits) to whatever obstruction you run into first (usually a hard drive cage).

Something to add to the list is if you have a personal preference of Nvidia over ATI or vice versa.

Upgrade that PSU.

I'm thinking for the top of the line cards, you'd need 700-750W with that.

Also, get a good brand. Like Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, FSP Group, and the others that people around here suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom