Build Log: Constructing the Ultimate Computer Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixing the Drawers

Nice monitor man, and bummer about the drawers.
And as for my last comment, my dad has a huge garage and he is the one with all the tools and know how but I don't have space in my apartment for a big desk which SUCKS.
Can't wait to move out lol.
Beautiful work/setup
Aha, yes, you do need a space for it somewhere when it's finished eh.. One downside is that now when I look at apartments, I have to find a place where there is room for this monster! ;)

DOH! least you have an easy way out.
Yup, worked out nicely too actually!

So, after I used the table saw to make my reference cuts, I grabbed the router with a 1/2" flush cut bit, set it at the appropriate depth and went to town. Making the reference cuts made the rest of this usually tedious job easy.

img6220u.jpg

img6222o.jpg

img6225h.jpg

When I went to do the reference cuts on the shorter drawers, I realized... there were a bunch of screws in the way. Ooops! Good thing I noticed so quickly!

img6227v.jpg

I had to go and remove all woodfiller and the screws that were in the way of the 3/16's inch material removal. This meant all the screws along the bottom, and 1 or 2 at the front and back of the drawer. What a pain!

img6235tg.jpg

img6232h.jpg

img6236hy.jpg

After getting all of the extra material removed, I drilled some new counter-sink holes (Since the old ones were taken off with the router), re-inserted the screws, and gave all the dressers a light sanding, since I would have to redo the polyurethane coat anyways (They got pretty scratched up). In this pic, I had already re-stained the portion where I removed the extra material.

img6238ac.jpg

So. Next - polyurethaning the drawers... AGAIN!

Installing the Drawers

Nice and smart, table saw the perimeter and router the rest.

Got "screwed" eh...... doh
lmao, got screwed, nice one ;)

Nice fix, you smart cookie ;)
Ha, thanks - worked out well too! Check it out!

While getting ready to re-polyurethane the drawers, I also took the time to stain and poly the right-hand cabinet door, as well as the two pieces that will be above each of the cubby holes on the top of the desk

img6241b.jpg

img6245j.jpg

Re-polyurethaning the drawers went really well - they look fantastic

img6250m.jpg

Things have been pretty busy in the shop - have been re-glassing a war-horse of a canoe at the same time!

img6251s.jpg

Here are the first couple drawers installed. They fit perfectly - the slides fit right into the grooves that I cut out. This photo turned out a little redder than reality

img6254lc.jpg

Getting the actual slides lined up and screwed in straight took a bit of patience, but well worth the effort

img6255i.jpg

Ahh, nice and messy, but finally got the drawers in.

img6256g.jpg

Some of the things I'll need to be working on shortly:

- Front Panel (Fan controls, LED's, Power/Reset switches, USB, Audio Jacks)
- Fan Installation (Foam surrounds, filter fitting)
- Hardware selection

After the hardware is selected and installed, I will be able to focus on cable routing and placement of the drives.

Up and Coming Preview

Woe shiney!
Ha, yup, it's a sucker to keep clean at the moment since I'm still working on it quite a bit!

Awesome work as always. My dad made his own canoe, entirely out of wood and fiber-glass.
It was a big job but it is soo awesome.
Thanks, fiberglassing the boat was a pretty big job. That would be awesome to make a canoe from scratch!

Sorry for the delay in updates everyone - I've been enjoying the beautiful summer weather we've been getting lately and haven't been putting a tremendous effort into getting the desk finished.

Surprise though - I did manage to get quite a bit done, and I've had some good fortune lately as well. I expect to post several updates this week, so just to get you back into the spirit of things, here's this weeks preview!

4x Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm x 38mm 3000RPM
4x Scythe Slipstream 120mm x 25mm 1900RPM
img6261dr.jpg

Lots of foam cutting and trimming, and a sweet, sweet ruler from the Moddders Inc Featured Rig of the Month Contest(Thanks! I'm honored!)
img6262z.jpg

Hmm, what's this?
img6263eo.jpg

Holy moly cool prize pack Modders Inc! I still can't believe I won this - perfect stuff for The Ultimate Computer Desk!
img6267w.jpg

Finally removed the protective cover from these babies - they look soo nice!
img6319j.jpg

Hmm? Another surprise?...
img6320j.jpg

Oh good lord! What kind of super monster is that!!?
img6340m.jpg

Bwahahaha
img6359o.jpg

Ok, so maybe a lot's happened in the past couple weeks. I haven't been posting any updates because I've been tinkering around with hardware AND enjoying some good outdoor times. I'm thinking that the next round of updates in the following month or so will be ultra exciting - things are starting to wrap up!

Seeya soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom