Requesting help for a machine upgrade! (Gaming DX11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

genwarfare

Solid State Member
I recently built a new gaming PC and I love it. So far it's handled everything quite nicely except for the DX11 games and tests I throw at it. But one of the reasons i built this was because I really do want to be able to run new games smoothly at maxed out settings. Unfortunately, they are just eating this thing alive. :sad:

My Current Build.

Case: AZZA Solano 1000 Newegg.com - AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case
PS: 750W Corsair CMPSU-750TX Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
MB: Asus P6X58D-E Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
HDD: 640Gb 7200 RPM 64Mb Newegg.com - Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CPU: 3.06Ghz Intel Core I7-950 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
GPU: 1Gb 128-bit GDDR5 MSI R5770 Newegg.com - MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
RAM: 6Gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

So my question is, do you think that doubling up on the RAM and same GPU would be sufficient enough to beast my way through those games? I dont know enough about the technical aspects of new games or how the work load is split up. Also, if I do double up on those things, do you think my current powersup will be able to handle all of that?

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

The best way to boost your performance is to put that MSI 5770 back in its box and buy a new graphics card. Something like Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card should last you a long time.

Or you could just buy another MSI 5770 and have two graphics cards (yes your psu can handle that). It won't be as good as the GTX 560ti, but it will also be half the price...

(More RAM will not help your game performace..)

You don't need more memory. You should buy a second HD 5770 and run them in Crossfire or buy a single, more powerful video card, and sell your old video card.

The best way to boost your performance is to put that MSI 5770 back in its box and buy a new graphics card. Something like Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card should last you a long time.

Or you could just buy another MSI 5770 and have two graphics cards (yes your psu can handle that). It won't be as good as the GTX 560ti, but it will also be half the price...

(More RAM will not help your game performace..)

+1, the rest of your system looks fine.

hey, thanks so far guys. looks like i'm probably opting for just a second card instead of that AND more memory. but please keep the info/suggestions coming! :p

do you guys really think my computer is performing that slow (3dMark11, Crysis2 with all the new dx11 upgrades, Metro 2033 on dx11) just because of my video card? Not that I'm arguing, I just remember reading that recommended optimum specs were 8+ gigs or as much RAM as possible for these.

and just out of curiosity, how does the one 1Gb card you linked perform better than two of the current 1Gb card I have?

do you guys really think my computer is performing that slow (3dMark11, Crysis2 with all the new dx11 upgrades, Metro 2033 on dx11) just because of my video card? Not that I'm arguing, I just remember reading that recommended optimum specs were 8+ gigs or as much RAM as possible for these.

Yes and no. It is also because you are playing metro. That game has poo optimizations. It eats a lot of cards alive. Crysis 2 shouldn't be as bad, but it's no slouch either. Do you play other games?

more RAM isn't going to do jack squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom