Little upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
In desktops, maybe. But this is for a server. It is currently hosting a Minecraft server, a file server, and looking into other options. Such as F@H. I believe that does use all 4 cores.

I'm not sure how better Linux apps are. But I'm not running much.

If I can save $8, I'd go for it.

I hear that! I must say though having personally used over 20 various AM2 and AM3 cpu's there is a noticable difference between a small L2 cache and having a larger L2 cache and an L3 cache. I have stuck with my phenom 920 vs the newer quads because the large L2 and L3 cache aid in performance greatly.

Gaming, Extracting, Compressing, Rendering. Just about everything I do I feel benefits from the larger cache.

In desktops, maybe. But this is for a server. It is currently hosting a Minecraft server, a file server, and looking into other options. Such as F@H. I believe that does use all 4 cores.

I'm not sure how better Linux apps are. But I'm not running much.

If I can save $8, I'd go for it.

I'd go for the quad. As you said a multi purpose server like that is the perfect application for benefiting from the extra cores.

I'm not saying it can directly. But for $8 I would recommend the Phenom because you never know.... Down the road you could repurpose that cpu and or use it if your main rig breaks down. I have found when the price difference is small it's better to go for the higher performing part because you never know how glad you might be down the road.

I'm not saying it can directly. But for $8 I would recommend the Phenom because you never know.... Down the road you could repurpose that cpu and or use it if your main rig breaks down. I have found when the price difference is small it's better to go for the higher performing part because you never know how glad you might be down the road.

The thing is for a server in the vast majority of cases the Athlon II X4 will be the better performing part.

I agree totally, unless it gets repurposed. Depends if its intended to be a server for the long term.

Even then I'd still rather have the quad. Several games already benefit from quads and that number will only increase as time goes on. Stuff like encoding and F@H will also rum much better on the quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom