SSD choice, need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

In Runtime
So i'm looking to buy a new SSD for my gaming rig. I would like to keep the capacity around 120gb and SATA III interface. I was gonna grab the Agility 3 from OCZ, the read and write speeds look really good however I read a review that said the real world performance was unimpressive. I want to make sure that I get the best drive that I can in my price range ($200 max). Anyone have any input? The two drives im considering are posted below:

Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Newegg.com - OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC

Thanks

Thats my old build, running an i7, 480 GTX now...among other parts those are the two which probably impact ssd performance the most

The "3" models generally require 6gb/s (SATA III) connectors, so if your motherboard doesn't have those then you won't be able to fully utilize the models you linked. Your motherboard (any new mobo) will have 3gb/s connectors required for the model that Slaymate linked however.

My motherboard does in fact have the connectors for 6gb/s (aka SATA III).

Unfortunately I have found out that the Marvell chipset that is included on my motherboard uses a pci-e x1 lane and therefore does not give the full benefit of Sata III. I will most likely stick with the ocz-vertex that I currently own since I won't see as much performance increase as I thought I would from upgrading.

Thanks for all your posts!

I may have mis-stated, all im doing is saying what I have found on various forums and review sites. I assume there are only so many lanes avaialbe for data whether it be from pci-e or sata ports and the Marvell 9128 does not handle the data at the speeds that a good SSD such as the vertex 3 can write/read at.

EDIT: This is an excerpt from a post that I was reading about my Motherboard and SATA 6 drives:

"the P6X58D Premium uses the Marvell 9128 as its SATA-6 controller, which is attached to a PCIe 1x lane (5GB/s)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom