PS/2 to USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter1107

Solid State Member
When booting the system up PS/2 and USB (keyboard and mouse) are read by BIOS but when it boots up to the Operating System, USB needs to be read in order to function keyboard and mouse while in PS/2, not necessary to do so. Why? Anyone who could explain it? Thanks!

I'm not sure what your asking. I just pulled out and tried my ps2 kybrd and mouse and both work in the bios and windows without the usb ones present. If thats different than your results it may be something with your pc. If you elaborate on your question I will try to be of more help:)

Its probably a throw back to before usb was main stream. The other issue is enabling usb at boot could open secuity holes, so having jut ps 2 deault could protect a system.

I'm not sure what your asking. I just pulled out and tried my ps2 kybrd and mouse and both work in the bios and windows without the usb ones present. If thats different than your results it may be something with your pc. If you elaborate on your question I will try to be of more help:)

what I mean is, Operating System has to install the USB(Keyboard and Mouse) why not PS/2, because it is a build-in?

Think of it that PS/2 is analog. USB is digital. USB mice need special drivers for extra buttons. PS-2 mice aren't that special.

Windows does install drivers for the ps/2 ports. Slower devices such as those are ran on a legacy chip, that is basically universal anymore, or embedded into the southbridge.

I see, so it was already embedded (automatically functioning without waiting OS to read them) unlike in USB I have to wait the Operating System to read the devices just to use them properly. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom