Building a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen plenty of reviews of people getting the 2500k to 4.0GHz on stock cooling, so add an aftermarket cooler and you'll definitely get 4+.

I'm thinking of changing from this mobo:
Newegg.com - ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

to this one:
Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

It's not a whole lot more money.

I'm also gonna go from the Thuban based hexa-core to the Deneb based Phenom X4 clocked at 3.7 and oc it to 4.0, since six cores would be overkill.

But I'm wondering will there be any performance increase using that sabertooth mobo?

Also would this card be able to do crossfire with my other card? Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNLC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Both are 5770s by XFX but I'm not sure if it'd work or not.

Here's my card just for reference: Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

But I'm wondering will there be any performance increase using that sabertooth mobo?
Most of what the Sabertooth offers is gimmicks like thermal radar and ceramic coating.
The only performance difference I see is that in crossfire the Sabertooth will give both cards x16 bandwidth, while the other one will be x8 for both cards.
That being said, not sure if the 5770 will saturate x16 bandwidth, or even x8.

Yes those cards are compatible, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't just spend the extra $5 to get a 2nd version of the card you already have, it looks like it has a better cooler than the first one you linked.

I know I'm either gonna have to take some time dusting it out before putting the parts into it but I'm kinda thinking of taking it outside and hosing it down then letting it dry. Any damage that could cause?

I really hope your not talking about taking water and mixing it with electrical components.

You can crossfire any 5770 with another 5770, the brand doesn't matter.

I only mean I'm gonna give it a good thorough cleaning it after taking ALL components out and taking it apart completely. PC has been unused since early 2009, has gathered a LOT of dust. I'm also looking into replacing all the 120mm fans in it with better ones and placing in some sort of filter system for the front 2 intake fans.

The cash for my rig is almost in hand, parts are in my wish list. Already have the card, ram and the oem copy of windows 7 is on it's way.

Now a major concern for me is having a decent UPS, my power goes out every so often and the wiring in my place is not really all the good. So I want to have a decent UPS to protect my system from surges as well as power outages.

How do these 2 UPS stack up?

Newegg.com - CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS 1350VA / 810W PFC compatible Pure sine wave

Newegg.com - APC BR1500G 1500 VA 865 Watt 10 Outlets Power Saving Back-UPS RS 1500

I can't afford to spend a whole lot on one, but I want one that will be good enough to keep my system powered long enough for me to properly save any and all documents/progress and shut it down without it having any issues.

Go with the APC one. Where I work, we use nothing but APC and we have a bunch of 1250 VA UPS's, which are amazing. The LCD screen is very handy as well, telling you how much watts you're using, and the estimated battery run time on that current load...very nice. :)

OK, thanks for the info NF. Will be picking up the APC UPS, I'm glad to hear they are a reliable brand.

On a side note I'm thinking of getting a decent headset to game with, I have Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Sound speakers but I prefer headsets because they are more immersive than speakers. I'm looking at the Logitech G930, wireless 7.1 surround sound headset. Does anyone have any experience with these? They look good to me and have awesome reviews so I'm really leaning towards them. I have a pair of Sennheiser's at the moment but the wire is frayed and the mic doesn't always work on it, so I'm really wanting to upgrade to something better, newer and clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom