What should I upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend buying a 64-bit version of Windows.

ATI has improved there drivers a lot recently. While I can't say the same thing for Nvidia. Nvidia use to kick out beta drivers every couple of weeks, now they only release a new driver every few months.

ATI has improved there drivers a lot recently. While I can't say the same thing for Nvidia. Nvidia use to kick out beta drivers every couple of weeks, now they only release a new driver every few months.

Where did you get the information for your reply?

NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

And this is not including the 2 to 4 beta's a month that are otherwise released. These are just the ones Nvidia lists. There is A MINIMUM of 1 driver per month with an average of 2 beta's during every 30 day period. When a game is released Nvidia has a beta driver with any necessary fixes within days.

Ati has a well documented history (both past and current) of making users wait the full 30 day driver cycle for fixes. This is all documented and verifiable.

I've been using Nvidia cards since the TNT, I know all about Nvidia drivers. I see a few monthly releases, because of new card releases, but they offer nothing to the majority of users. I also see a few long time lapses between some of those releases. And the 2 to 4 betas that are not listed on Nvidia's site are usually the same as the official Nvidia driver/beta but they've been rebranded by a manufacturer with a different version number, or sometimes they've added a specific tweak that you could do yourself. You can con yourself into believing whatever you want but Nvidia's driver support is not the same as it was 2,3 or 10 years ago.

Look enough is enough. The OP wants some support on which card to get. The fact is this. Drivers are updated mainly for Game Support. The fact is that the games mentioned will NOT be considered in the new drivers cause they are NOT new games. Crysis, Fallout and GTA have already been released for quite some time so ANY driver out there will have support for them. So who releases a new driver and how often is NOT important cause if you read the question and original post, he doesnt say a single thing about playing new games an upcoming games. He wants to play games that have full support by ANY driver out there right now.

So stop the bickering about who releases better drivers, cause the fact is that it isnt mandatory to the subject at hand. So leave your personal preference out of it and suggest to the user the best card for what they want to do. Not a single company is perfect and nVidia nor ATi can claim superiority in driver support. I can point out several instances where both companies have failed greatly.

So answer the question for the OP as it best suits his needs. They asked the question, not to hear people fight about which is their favorite and why.

I believe the preferred GPU brands are XFX and Sapphire because of lifetime warranties.
Double checked that Sapphire card, 1yr warranty.

This XFX HD6950 (244.99 w/ MiR) might give you more comfort with it's lifetime warranty.

Or, if you want to get a little ballsy there is the MSI HD6950 (269.99). A little more expensive, and only 3yr parts/2yr labor warranty, but it can be unlocked to an HD6970.

Double checked that Sapphire card, 1yr warranty.

This XFX HD6950 (244.99 w/ MiR) might give you more comfort with it's lifetime warranty.

Or, if you want to get a little ballsy there is the MSI HD6950 (269.99). A little more expensive, and only 3yr parts/2yr labor warranty, but it can be unlocked to an HD6970.
Thank you for your help. :) I thought this one. Newegg.com - XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity It's a 6970 but I want to know if I will need anything better. Like PSU wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom