Want to upgrade laptop rather then buy new

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
I have an older Toshiba Satellite A105. It runs like a champ, but it's time to upgrade. I'd rather spend $150-200 on some new parts rather then buying a whole new laptop. I use it solely for some lower graphic games (Sim City 4, CoC Generals etc...), media and web when I travel. Specs are as follows:

Intel T2500 2.0GHz Core Duo processor
120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
1 GB of DDR2 667 MHz in dual-channel

At a minimum I want to upgrade the RAM (4GB or better) and HDD (at least 500GB)... but I haven't the foggiest idea how to upgrade laptop parts. RAM won't be an issue, but I have no idea how to replace a laptop HDD. In addition it says it is Windows Vista compatible. If I upgrade just the HDD and RAM could I install Win 7? Or would I need to upgrade the CPU too? Currently I am running XP and I want to at a minimum have Vista on it, if not 7.

My two questions are:

1. What do I look for in a laptop HDD? Are the hookups any different then a tower

2. Can the processor be upgraded, if so are they the same as desktop CPU's or are they smaller for laptops? Again what would I look for?

Thanks.

Hey bro! Haven't seen you on lately. Work?

Yeah, a RAM upgrade would be a plus. Do you have 1 or 2 RAM slots? Should see that in CPU-z. Your RAM limit is 2GB. Meaning, that if you put 4 GB in, it will only see 2GB and use only 2GB. Also, what speed does it say in CPU-z?

For the HDD, SATA hookups are the same as desktops. You just need a 2.5" disk.

You cannot upgrade the CPU. It is soldered onto your board. To answer your question, though, laptop CPUs are smaller in size and take up less electricity, hence the battery life.

Hope that helps ya! :)

You can upgrade the CPU. It's not part of the motherboard, it pops off just like a desktops. The issue is you really can't because there isn't anything you can upgrade it with. There is usually a range of clock speeds that comes with any laptop when you buy it. Just check dell or any other manf., you usually have speeds in variation of about 500mhz.

Point being no, you're going to spend a ton and get very little in return. Your best bet is to upgrade the RAM. Even then some laptops can only hold so much ram (a limitation of the motherboard on your system). Your's does max out at 4gb but you need a 64 bit OS to take advantage of all that. XP, Vista or 7 doesn't matter - just needs to be 64 bit.

Honestly IMO i would MAYBE upgrade the ram if you got it on the cheap and just reinstall windows.

Lex, I looked around at the specs of the laptop. His CPU is soldered to his motherboard. And his RAM limit is 2GB. Unless you can provide a link to where this says so, I believe I am correct.

(RAM limit is from Crucial's site)

Lex, I looked around at the specs of the laptop. His CPU is soldered to his motherboard. And his RAM limit is 2GB. Unless you can provide a link to where this says so, I believe I am correct.

(RAM limit is from Crucial's site)

I don't know where your getting your information but it is very incorrect. The laptop has a maximum limit of 4g. I have provided a link to clear this issue.
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a105-s4074/4507-3121_7-31956608.html

As for the cpu being soldered to the board, no. I have several laptops here in the shop with the same cpu series and same chipset and they are not soldered to the board. That is actually quite rare with the exception on netbooks.

Here is a link where you can see the cpu and retaining screws. Note the alignment mark on the cpu and board. NOTE STEP 23- Removing the cpu! This surely is an interchangeable cpu.
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A105/remove-motherboard-3.htm

I've removed the CPU from Satellites before, not the A105 but others.

As for the RAM, i was going off of CNET's review site which says the max is 4 GB.

WTF? It said 2GB was the limit last night from Crucial's site. Today I look on the site and it says 4GB. Man, is that spooky...

I think regardless you are better served saving your money IMO.

Reformat the PC to clean out anything, save your money and get a new laptop down the road.

I think regardless you are better served saving your money IMO.

Reformat the PC to clean out anything, save your money and get a new laptop down the road.

This is also my advice. I just bought an Asus k50 series laptop with 2.5ghz Intel dual core and 4gb ddr3 for 380$ new. So throwing 200ish into yours to only have what you can get new for 400$ might not be the wisest move.

Since your laptop uses DDR2 RAM, you will be limited to DDR2. DDR3 has 2 extra pins and will not fit into your laptop (I didn't really look up your laptop specs but I'm assuming its using SO-DIMMs) so a new laptop would be best. DDR3 RAM is getting cheaper than DDR2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom