Ethernet cable issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy

Beta member
hi there so i ran a 30metre ethernet cable from my sky router to an xbox 360, then realised that it wont reach where i need it, so i moved the router hoping to plug the ethernet into the adsl slot but the cable is slightly too large i think the hole on router is rj11 the wire is rj12 i think, bassically i need to use this wire, on one end its to big 4 the router and the other end is too big to go into the filter box thing that also has my fone socket, could i use 2 adapters one on each end and will it work, please help me!! thanks

actually scrap that, i just need to extend the length by 1 metre, does an extension exist? for a ethernet

Either that or you can manually splice the cable so it's longer. Pretty easy stuff, just cut the 30m cable at some point and get a second cable with both its ends cut off and splice it into the longer cable. Just match same colour wires together and make sure they don't touch any of the other wires (a bit of electricians tape around each little wire is good).

Or if you don't want to do any splicing you can just get an RJ-45 coupler, and another cable at whatever length you need. Possibility of some signal degredation, but not sure how much.

Splicing is best (with heatshrink wrap around the spliced section), but coupler is easiest. Up to you on what you would rather do.

A coupler is better than a splice, trust me.

Not if a splice is done right. On ethernet cables, yeah it'll be really hard to do it right, so a coupler will be better in this situation because the wires are tinier. Wire that you can actually solder though (probably at least 22-guage), is better to be spliced than coupled. Gives a more direct connection because it doesn't have to jump through the coupler's connectors. Remember, each connector you add into a connection, you slightly lose signal.

If this was true, phone companies would splice the cable, but all they do is use a large patch panel to tie the wires back together, exact same concept as a coupler. Granted though, these are SMALLER wires, hence the reason to use a coupler. If it was larger wire, strip, solder, heatshrink, tape up.

If this was true, phone companies would splice the cable, but all they do is use a large patch panel to tie the wires back together, exact same concept as a coupler. Granted though, these are SMALLER wires, hence the reason to use a coupler. If it was larger wire, strip, solder, heatshrink, tape up.

That's pretty much what I said in my previous post lol:

Wire that you can actually solder though (probably at least 22-guage), is better to be spliced than coupled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom