Need help with a gaming build. $1000 budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
Well after many months of saving I am finally doing my build. I am needing just the tower not monitor, mouse, keyboard. I will need an OS but I am going to start a seperate thread on that as I have some other questions (I will post a link a soon as I have that thread up). My budget is $1000 and is only a little flexible. This will be an Intel/Nvidia build and will be used mostly for gaming. I may be doing some video editing in the future. Combos are more then welcome.

What I know/think so far:

CPU: Newegg - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor BX80623I52500K I am pretty much decided on this CPU.

GPU: Nvidia, at least 1 GB (seems to be the norm), possibly GTX 560 if it will fit in the budget, needs to have a DVI port as that is what my monitor uses. Newegg - GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi)

MB: I want good OC abilities (won't be going extreme), needs to have good sound

RAM: I want to go with 8 GB if possible, I could settle for 4 and upgrade later if I have too.

Optical drive: I need 2 drives, At least one needs to be a DVD burner, If it won't overshoot my budget Blu-Ray would be nice. On the CPU page it says combo savings with blu-ray burner but I don't really need to burn blu-rays as we don't have another player.

HDD: Western Digital or Seagate, Not sure on the size, at least 750 GB, and I am not going with an SSD for now.

Case: Want any suggestions

I don't know if I will need an aftermarket CPU cooler or not. I will most likely overclock in the near future. I do have some TX-2.

I am planning to buy the parts by July 28 because I will be gone the 1st week in August and hopefully when I get back they will be here. I think this will be a bit of a jump from a Celeron 1.4 GHz PC.:wink: Preferred sites are Newegg and Amazon. Thanks in advance.

Original post 6/28/2011, so prices may have dropped a little.
CPU: 219.99 i5 2500k.
Mobo: 179.99 ASUS P8P67 Pro.
GPU: 249.99 EVGA GTX560 Ti.
PSU: 119.99 Corsair HX650.
RAM: 74.99 G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB 1600 CAS8.
HDD: 89.99 WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM.
Total = 1035$

This doesn't include rebates/combo deals/shipping.
Included is Win7 64-Bit, pose any questions you may have about it.

+18.99 Sony Optiarc CD/DVD burner.
What do you want the 2nd optical drive to be used for?

Cases, I feel, are more personal preference. My current favorites are:
54.99 Zalman Z9 Plus.
59.99 Sentey Optimus Extreme.
64.99 Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W.
Will beat someone to the punch and also suggest the forum favorites:
59.99 Cooler Master HAF912.
69.99 Antec Three Hundred Illusion.

Granted this is a little over your budget (though maybe not with combos and rebates) but depending on use you can probly cut the HD down (60.99 for the WD 640GB) and/or if this is almost solely for gaming, drop down to 4GB of ram.

How hard were you looking to OC? If you're just doing it for a performance boost I've read plenty of reviews of people getting the 2500k to 4.0GHz on stock cooling. If you really want to test the limits of how high you can take it, save up and get a watercooling loop later.

I will try to answer all of your questions but if I miss one just ask again.

I often do CD/DVD copying where I just do the "copy entire disc" thing. Disc to be copied in #1 drive, disc copying to in #2 drive. So whatever drive you suggest needs to be a DVD burner and I will get 2 of them. Just thinking about it now all 3 main computers in our house have 2 drives each.

I am not going to go extreme. 4.0 GHz would probably be my upper limit. I can always get a cooler later and save money now since I will get the stock one with the processor anyway.

I forgot to say that I would like a modular PSU(the one you listed is). And I would like to have enough headroom for possible SLI in the future(probably not gonna happen but you never know).

Also the OS isn't coming out of the $1000 budget. That would give me an extra $100 for whatever. And as far as OS I wasn't quite sure which version of Windows 7 to go with. There is Pro, Home, Ultimate, Premium. And then there's Retail, OEM, Builders. I am just confused by all the options and what to do. I know some versions are tied to 1 MB I believe and I don't want that (in case I change the MB or something). And I noticed XP mode is only on Pro and Ultimate versions. I would still be able to run stuff made for XP with Premium right?

And as far as cases go I do want front audio and USB ports. I would also like a side window and possibly a side fan. I know the HAF series is good but I don't really care for their look. If I wanted to browse for cases what exactly should I look for as far as MB form factor? It would be ATX right?

Another couple random thoughts. I do like the look of the ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 Motherboard(but it seems like it has a couple quirks to it). And with the money saved from the OS could I possibly get a Newegg - GTX 480?

Thanks for the help so far Roark.

Yeah just looked at normal drives to see if they were cheaper, not really worth the $2 difference.

Search i5 2500k on stock cooler, lot of people take them easily to 3.7-4.0GHz without going aftermarket.

The 650w can power 2x GTX560 Ti, but with overclocking and extra hardware probably better off with the HX750w, same thing just more juice and not much more expensive.

Retail means you can move the Windows license from one computer to another (but only on one at a time).
OEM versions are tied to the motherboard and must be repurchased if you upgrade the motherboard (can actually be done, but its a pain).
32-bit is limited to 4GB of RAM
64-bit is limited to 16-192GB
Here is an awesome site I found that explains all the differences between the versions (just ignore the Mac OS X references). Also,
You can now run XP Mode on any version of Windows 7 and you do not need hardware virtualization.

Yeah like I said, case is a personal thing since you're the one looking at it.
The motherboard I linked is ATX, just have to decide how big you want the case, suggest Mid Tower, but again personal preference.

The Sabertooth is a really nice board as well, was considering the budget though and the P8P67 Pro is also quite good for quite a bit less.

If you've got the money there is nothing wrong with a better GPU :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help Roark.

Ok so this is what I have so far. Prices include shipping and have rebates figured in also.

CPU:Intel Core i5-2500K Processor : $220

MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO Motherboard : $190

GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card : $225

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX750 750W : $125

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB : $80

HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM :$90

Optical drive: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner times 2: $40

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout :$90

Total for above is $1060. A bit over budget but ok. I am also going to get Windows 7 Home Premium but that doesn't come out of the budget.

I would like some other members opinions as well as advice. Especially for any combos that are available. Also would like to know if the RAM is available in red to match the case lights. And also if anyone has this case or has any case advice. It is one of the highest rated cases(#5) on Newegg.

EDIT: Is this: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB the same memory just red and $10 cheaper? Also the CAS is 9 instead of 8 and I think that is good correct?

The lower the CAS the faster the ram, besides the blue may not match your LEDs but it will match the motherboard :thumbsup:

Taken from Wikipedia, hate me for it if you want.
Column Address Strobe (CAS) latency, or CL, is the delay time between the moment a memory controller tells the memory module to access a particular memory column on a RAM memory module, and the moment the data from given array location is available on the module's output pins. In general, the lower the CAS latency, the better.

CPU + GPU Combo $419.98.
PSU + MB Combo $309.98.
(includes rebates, shipping didn't show up though)

New total $1030
But the PSU was upgraded to the AX750, same thing just more efficient.

If you wanted to downgrade to the HX650 (if you decide against SLi)
PSU + MB Combo $269.98.

New total $990 (under budget!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom