Graphics card acting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaS_BMOC

Solid State Member
I have windows 7, and a XFX ATI 6870 reference model. (I have a VGA monitor plugged in with a DVI > VGA adapter)

I've had this card set up for about 2 months now, and it has been working great, I was very happy with it...

until last night when I was just sitting around talking to a friend on hamachi, nothing else other than skype running at the time, then all of a sudden my monitor goes black, then went back on, but the menu bar on the bottom, which is usually black, was now grey...

I realized this was quite odd. so I immediately opened up GPU-Z

and the GPU load % was at 99% and the temperature was at 70C (usually around 46C when I'm not doing anything)

so I quickly shutdown the computer, waited a bit, and turned the computer back on. opened up GPU-Z and the load was back down between 0-3% like usual... and the temp was already down to 55C.

I have no idea what caused this issue in the first place, but I was hoping the trouble was over...

instead, when I start up my computer and went to play a game, (it worked) but everything was much blurrier, and generally much less better looking than normal, the fonts were especially bad, as well as starcraft 2 (which seemed much blurrier then the other games I've been playing (Team fortress 2 and mass effect).

thinking that maybe it might have been a driver issue, I decided to uninstall and re-install the driver...

went to control panel>uninstall programs>ATI control panel. since that's how they tell you to do it on the ATI website. but doing this gave me a BSOD.

next time I went to device manager, and uninstalled the driver there. then went to the uninstall programs, and it worked just fine.

though, windows installed so older version of the driver on its own when i went to upgrade my driver, so I don't know if that would cause any issues...

anyways, so I went and installed the newest version of the ati drivers... rebooted my comp, but it fixed nothing.

the games still run just fine, 60 FPS (I have v-sync enables) so I see no difference in how well they run, just how good everything looks, how clear of an image I get.

1) so, could there be some other problem? I'd like to make sure that it is absolutely the graphics card before I send it in, because I read up on some other people who had similar issue's, and they sent in their card just to get it sent back with a nice little note saying that nothing was wrong with the card.

2) does anybody have any clue what could have initially loaded up my GPU in the first place to cause this problem?

Run HWMonitor 1.18 for a while and post a screenshot. I suppose it could possibly be a problem with the power supply or the motherboard somehow (HWMonitor might show an indication of that) but it sounds like the video card is dying as 55C at an idle is still very hot.

run it idle? or with a game running?

also, it was only at 55C because it hadn't had time to cool down from the 70C (idle) it was at before restarting... normaly it runs about 44-46C idle, is that also high?

Idle:
Idle.png

SC2, 6 players game (me and 5 computers), about 10 mins in:
SC2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom