Various problems with new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

parijuf

Solid State Member
Hello people :). Not really sure where to start, so will go from the beginning.

I was using a very old computer and felt it was time for an upgrade when I started playing Aion and was getting 10 fps on lowest graphics and my computer froze every time a cutscene happened.

The new computers specs are:

MOBO: Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II x6 1055T
RAM: 2 2x2 OCZ Platinum DDR3
GPU: MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
CASE: Coolmaster CM-690 II Advanced Dominator
PSU: OCUK Swift 750W Silent Power Supply
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80GB IDE
Internet is connected using a Belkin Wireless USB which connects to a Sky router

All of the drivers have been updated but I haven't updated the BIOS as I'm not sure which version I should get (if any). The updates are found at GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.3) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS If anyone could give advice on that please ^^.

I'm not exactly very competant with computers, and although I've been able to get it all to run I'm having a few problems that I honestly haven't a clue how to fix :s. I haven't overclocked and I've done everything according to the manuals. The only thing I didn't follow was when the motherboard starts I don't set it to read in SATA mode or IDE mode. I just left it as that seemed to work. I've installed and updated all softwares related to each piece of hardware

Problems...
1) When I start my computer and try to run Firefox, it usually shuts itself down without any errors a few times before it finally runs properlly. If I close it after its working properlly, I will need to open it multiple times again. This has only not happened once. Once it starts working, I can surf without it closing.

2) Sometimes when opening firefox it also simply locks up and doesn't load or close or anything. I end up having to close it using the task manager. Like with the first problem, once its working it works fine until I close it.

3) Sometimes I will get alot of lag on games, even older games like Runescape or Sacred. But other times, I will have no problems at all. So far, Sacred has always lagged but Runescape and Aion are both tempermental.

4) Slow buffering videos (this is also only sometimes)

5) Noises echo in music, videos, speach, games etc. When I pause, the echo will fade out for a second or so after I click

6) Forgot to mention so editing post, but its also only using 3.25GB of the RAM :p

I was just hoping someone might have some advice or anything that might be able to help me with these problems or at least tell me what it is thats wrong :). Thanks in advance.

PS: With the firsfox problem, it happens when I run it without addons and I have also reinstalled it twice >.<. The main problem I'm having is the lag in games

I may be able to help with number 6. Is it XP 32 or 64 bit? Because 32-bit can only access 3.5 GB or so of the RAM I think. And that inclues the GPU. You may want confirmation of this from another member but I hope it helps.

Thanks guys, I'll get a new power supply and windows 7 to see if that makes any difference. I appreciate the help :)

Get a good quality power supply from Antec or Corsair. When buying power supply, the important number to look at is the number of amps on the +12v rails on the psu, higher the better.. However if they are multi +12v rails, you can NOT just add the amps up to get the total number.

For example on the Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W
+12v1=25A, +12v2=25A, +12v3=25A, +12v4=25A
Here there are 4 +12v rails which seems like it can output 100A, but really it has a max load of 56A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom