NEW SATA INTERNAL HARDDRIVE WOES...

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkinman86

Baseband Member
I've just installed a new Western Digital internal SATA harddrive on my Dell E520,which is running XP.
The problem is the computer doesn't seem to recognize it. When I right click on MY COMPUTER, then click on manage, then click on DISK MANAGEMENT in the left hand pane, a listing of all my drives opens. My C and a partition, D are there as well as my external G, and my CD and DVD drives, E and F. I have two card readers listed as drives H and I. No where does the new Internal show up.
When I installed the new drive, I connected it to the spare power plug from the existing internal harddrive. I had to purchase a new SATA cable which was plugged into the new harddrive on one end, and the socket on the motherboard on the other end.
Since it's a SATA drive, I assumed the installation would be easy with no jumpers to contend with ; no decisions as to which would be the MASTER and which would be the Slave.
I'm kinda at a loss. Do any of you more gifted, brilliant folks out there have any ideas for me?

Try it on another sata port.
Check the bios to make sure the sata port is enabled, also see if it shows up in the bios.
Check wires to make sure they are secure.

Listen to the drive for any kind of sounds they make, indicate it's spinning up or other sounds like ticking, grinding etc.

After trying what Brinks, stated, try these:

It probably won't have a drive letter when you first plug it in since it's not formatted.

Does it list any devices as RAW format when you're in Disk management?

Try booting off of a GParted disc, and format it from there, then see if it show's up in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom