Build Log: Constructing the Ultimate Computer Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow very nice.
Thanks, patonb!

Looks awesome all assembled.
If I had the money man, if I had the money ;)
Thanks MyGodAL3X - you know, it wasn't terribly expensive in terms of materials, compared to a desk you would buy at the store. The investment I suppose would be in the tools that I happened to have access to, and umm.. the components too I guess - my wallet is going to have a problem with that!!!

Still getting organized from the move, but hopefully there'll be some new updates early next week!

beautiful work man.. i can not wait to see the finished result... something like that is something i have dreamed about having forever.. i love a naked exposed computed!! i wish i was as handy as you!

+1 to MoM's post also - I'm currently designing my own desk for my office at home and I completely agree its the tools that are expensive and not the materials, great work on the desk its given me so much inspiration.

All Setup

beautiful work man.. i can not wait to see the finished result... something like that is something i have dreamed about having forever.. i love a naked exposed computed!! i wish i was as handy as you!
thanks NosBoost300 - you never know what you're capable of unless you try!

Let's see some computers in there!
Oh man, soo soon, MindoverMaster! So soon!!

+1 to MoM's post and I have access to tools and everything but my apart is too small and I have no know-how lol
Ah yeah, living in a small apartment has held me back before as well for projects like this before. Maybe there is a friend with some space in a garage or basement?

+1 to MoM's post also - I'm currently designing my own desk for my office at home and I completely agree its the tools that are expensive and not the materials, great work on the desk its given me so much inspiration.
I know what you mean - if I hadn't met the man with the woodshop, I would have tried to make the desk with a circular saw and a power drill, and although I would have finished it... I somehow don't think it would have turned out as well. There's always tool rental, however, if you have some space!

So - I finally had some time this weekend to do a bit of work on The Ultimate Computer Desk.

Here's a little shot of the desk as it sits now. Note that the drawers aren't installed, there's clutter everywhere, the two cabinets are not lined up in any particular fashion, and of course, no hardware has yet been installed.

img6205x.jpg

If you didn't notice, I finally said to myself "Ok Mr. You've been working on this desk for 8 months - time for a present". I ~finally~ ditched my old CRT monitor (Which was nice, at 1600x1200 resolution) and purchased myself a brand new 27" Asus. Sweet!

img6207v.jpg

That was my first new computer component in ages!

I moved on to the next part of the project, which was installing the drawers, so I got to work. Sorry about the pictures, I think I accidentally turned the auto focus off!

img6210se.jpg

img6211le.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I went to go and slide the drawer in. The drawer was too wide! I accomodated for 0.25" on each side of the drawer, for the width of the drawer slides. Unfortunately, these particular drawer slides were 3/16's of an inch wider than I accounted for... Here's a wonderfully in focus shot:

img6212t.jpg

So my options were:
1. Redo the drawers completely, making them a total of 6/16's (3/8's) skinnier, or
2. Shave off 3/16's" from each side, about 1.5" tall, along the length of both sides, of each of the drawers.

What a bummer! I thought oh well, it'll actually look pretty tidy with the sides shaved anyways, and also give additional support, so here goes!

Time to tape up my poor drawers. They're about to get scratched up pretty bad!

img6214g.jpg

Setting up the tablesaw for some "guidelines" - 3/16's of an inch deep, set the fence at 2" and then 3.5" if I remember correctly.

img6216em.jpg

And there you go, some proper guidelines for the material that will need to be removed.

img6218d.jpg

This was a pretty big surprise, but not too major, and nothing that cannot be done well.

Re: Before Transportation

Nice monitor man, and bummer about the drawers.
And as for my last comment, my dad has a huge garage and he is the one with all the tools and know how but I don't have space in my apartment for a big desk which SUCKS.
Can't wait to move out lol.
Beautiful work/setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom