Reputation Points

InfiniteLoop

Baseband Member
what's the story with the rep points? i see a bunch of signatures requesting that rep points be doled out if userX helped userY. why?

is there a prize?:omg:

massive amounts of rep points go out to all who help if i'm allowed to give out rep points yet. ;)

The reputation system is a means of determining who is helpful or has been helpful in the past. It's not an exact measurement as every helpful post is not always rewarded and unhelpful posts aren't even counted. But it is a general indicator.

Personally, I'll never ask for points and I won't add a rep request to my sig. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth asking for a reward. If I get a point without asking it just feels more rewarding. But that's just my opinion.

It can be helpful for new members when trying to determine what advice may be best and it can be a status symbol among our regulars. I like the rep system because it lets you know your advice or opinion was appreciated.

how does a new user know how many reputation points a user has, or doesn't have?

since i asked a question i know the answer to, i'll follow up with another question: since it really isn't useful to most new people that don't know how many reputation points InfiniteLoop has vs. say Slaymate, is it anything more than a status symbol?

in fact, i am pretty sure that the green bars are the rep points, but i still don't know that for sure.

Yes, the green bars are rep points, but they are purposefully vague so it doesn't become a popularity contest.

Whenever someone gives rep they can also give a massage with it. I honestly find these messages more rewarding than the actual rep.

Massage? Why haven't I gotten one of those yet? :p Honestly, at times, the rep system does seem kinda slanted, but, it is also fair.

Back
Top Bottom