New Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would take a AM3/AM2+/AM2 board to reuse the DDR2 with an AMD quad. I used two of these with my wife's and her mom's computers.

The board and cpu I proposed were AM2 and used DDR2. I do this for a living I would not offer a solution that would not work with his ram. You can buy an AM2 quad core cpu and matx AM2 motherboard from tiger direct for $99

That still doesnt solve i would still have to buy a new OS.

NO you don't! I explained that too. You should be able to boot and let it sort out the drivers for the new board. We do that quite regularly at the shop as alot of customers don't want their computer reformated. Also you can reinstall windows and then phone microsoft and tell them you need help reactivating your windows and they will happily assist you. I have done both options many times and can confirm either option will work just fine for you.

For reasons I will not get into on here, that is not an option. Rather than argue it lets just go with the mobo cant be replaced. I just simply was wondering if this board would actually hold a quad or not.

nope just 530, when you use a system info program the serial number for the the mobo says its regular 530, and even states in the info the mobo is a 4g max, but i have 8g and all are working and being used, even passes memtest86+ as 8g

You must have installed 64 bit then, however I thought for sure the original 530 was limited by more than just windows.

Edit: Yeah there had been an Bios update.

NO you don't! I explained that too. You should be able to boot and let it sort out the drivers for the new board. We do that quite regularly at the shop as alot of customers don't want their computer reformated. Also you can reinstall windows and then phone microsoft and tell them you need help reactivating your windows and they will happily assist you. I have done both options many times and can confirm either option will work just fine for you.

His operating system (assuming hes using the one that came with the computer) is OEM. Microsoft does not support OEM editions of Microsoft Windows. Hence, OEM as opposed to retail. Retail, the OS can be transferred, OEM it cannot. The activation key cannot be transferred legally.
"The End User Software License Terms is granted to the end user by you, the system builder. It is related to the OEM System Builder License for the PC on which it was originally installed.

You are required to support the license on that original PC, but you cannot support a license that has been moved from a PC that you manufactured to one that you did not. This is one of the key reasons an OEM System Builder License can't be transferred. "
Transfer of OEM Licenses

Like you said, according to the ToS, no you can't. But I've done it before; just gotta call MS when you reactivate it and say you had to reformat/reinstall.

Like you said, according to the ToS, no you can't. But I've done it before; just gotta call MS when you reactivate it and say you had to reformat/reinstall.

I tried it myself too. Microsoft told me that, because I had an OEM Windows Vista, it was an issue that I would have to take up with my computer manufacturer (HP at the time). HP wanted to charge money to do it.
I choose neither and build my own computer with Win 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom