Video card problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octorilla

Beta member
First off, hello everyone I'm new here, but I want to get right into my problem and see how I can fix it :p

When I open a computer game, it runs fine for the first 5 min or so, then a black screen (no signal) Then I have to turn my pc off and restart. I don't play games a whole lot, but sometimes it'd be nice. I thought maybe it was a driver problem, updated DirectX and Nvidia drivers, still the same problem. (DirectX diagnostic tool runs just fine through all the tests)

Next I thought, maybe the case is dirty? Nah, It's clean. Then someone told me it might be over heating (which might be the case) I have just the case fan as a main cooling supply. My power supply and video card both have their own fans, though. So I'm iffy on that one.

One of my friends just brought up this morning that it might be PCI express port. He said it might have a problem, shorting out or something when it gets hot, I have no idea how to fix this if it is the problem. I only have the one PCI express port, and it's a fairly new video card.

I really have no idea what to do at this point, I'm not the most hardware savvy guy out there, I'm just doing wat people tell me and hope it works. Nothing so far has done that, so I turn to you all :)

Edit: I should maybe mention that it's only while playing games (when the video card is actually having to work) I can watch movies in full length just fine, it never gives me problems until I open a game. (through steam or not, it still messes up)

Sounds like it might be overheating. Try to run a few programs that can test the temp of the GPU.

As for the short on the motherboard - that could be a cause as well but there is nothing you can do about this one. If it truly is shorting you'll have to RMA the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom