PSU Noise/ Replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flymia

Beta member
So two weeks ago I noticed this very high frequency whining noise coming from the power strip that my computer was connected to. It is odd that my printer's adapter/power strip makes the same very high pitched noise also. Older people are not even able to hear this noise but at points with no background noise it is very annoying.

Any way about a week after noticing the noise my computer failed to turn on so I figured the power source had a failure so I got a new one, a CORSAIR GS800, so a 800 watt source the same power amount I originally had but a much better brand and quality at least I think. It is a custom machine from Ibuypower so the original power source was not the greatest quality but the computer never had a problem for over a year.
The computer runs perfectly, without any problems, at least I have not noticed anything. However when the system is shutdown I hear this lite crackling noise, it is hard to explain but it is there. It is an electricity type sound. When I turn the switch from on to off on the back of the computer the noise goes lower. However the noise only shuts off completely when the system is unplugged or the surge protector is turned off. I cant tell if the noise is going on while the machine is running as the fans seem to drown out any sound.

Any ideas on what this could be?

I heard I should try to unplug different components inside the system and see if the noise stops with one of them off and that could be the problem. However I am not comfortable with unplugging things inside my computer as I have no idea what I am doing with hardware. If it is some type of component such as the video card (man I hope not!) does this need to be replaced? Or can it be something is out of line. I have already dusted the inside and all the vents. Is it difficult to unplug different components? I have opened the case and gone into the computer etc.. Just so many different wires etc.. Have no idea what each does.

Thanks for any info. It is just weird that the original power source failed and now this brand new one is making a bit of a strange noise but not the same as the old one.

Have you tried bypassing the powerstrip and going directly into the wall, or using a different strip? ?

Also, I would highly recommend a backup UPS with AVR functionality, rather than just a powerstrip or surge protector.

Have you tried bypassing the powerstrip and going directly into the wall, or using a different strip? ?

Also, I would highly recommend a backup UPS with APC functionality, rather than just a powerstrip or surge protector.

I will have to try that, but I have used different surge protectors and it still occurs but its worth a shot to see if it occurs when plugged directly into the wall even though that is something I wont want to do for long. Maybe I should try another outlet in the room also? Since my printer makes a noise as well. And I will look into what you recommended. I am trying to take good care of this computer and make it last 4 more years hopefully without any major problems. The first year has been flawless but now on the 13th month of having it I get this problem.

what is apc functionality in a ups? do you mean AVR?

i know, of course, that apc is a manufacturer of ups devices. fwiw

Gah, that's twice this morning lol... I need more sleep...

Yeah, I meant AVR, my mistake. Thank's for the correction.

Also, I would highly recommend a backup UPS with AVR functionality, rather than just a powerstrip or surge protector.

Tried bypassing the strip, putting into different outlets with the strip and different outlets directly into the wall. Same thing. I think what I will need to do is have my tech come over, same one who installed the new psu for me and troubleshoot the problem with tech support on the phone. I guess unplug each individual thing and see which one is the problem so I know what needs to be fixed. Hopefully it wont be an expensive component :/ Man this sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom