Toshiba L300 bios help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ewan's Computers

Baseband Member
Here's my problem. I have a Toshiba satellite L300d-10Q laptop, and something's wrong with the bios.

Every time I boot up it asks for a boot password. When it goes past the Toshiba boot screen a little blue box comes up saying "enter CURRENT password"

I've tried all the usual passwords, 1234, TOSHIBA, and all the "backdoor" passwords, and I'm locked out.

I also tried updating to a newer bios version, but the bootpassword is still there.

Can somebody tell me how to clear the boot password?

Thanks.

If you can, try taking off the panels on the bottom of the laptop and look for a small coin battery. See if it's one that's soldered onto the board, or if it's just a plug. Be sure to take the laptop battery out first.

If the coin battery can be seen and is a plug, just remove the plug for a minute or so and plug it back in, put the battery back in, and boot back up. If it's one that's soldered on, then you'll pry have to send it into Toshiba; I remember seeing this fairly often with some Toshiba's a few years ago. We had to send them all back to Toshiba and get them worked on. You can see if they will do it for free or not if the laptop is out of warranty.

Edit: Found this... Depending on the brand of BIOS you have, you could try this list: Toshiba L300D Bios Password - Page 2

Another article: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

I know the basic hardware methods, but I wanted to avoid opening up the thing, cause I bet the battery and the jumpers are buried deep down inside the laptop.

That's why I said to just take off the bottom panels and see if you could see it from there. By bottom panels, I mean the RAM/HDD/wifi card panels that you just have to remove 1 screw and pop the plastic panel off. Sometimes you can see them from there.

I think what i'll do is because this laptop needs a clean out (because it runs on vista :madd:) I'll reset it to it's factory settings, and then install windows 7.

I think what i'll do is because this laptop needs a clean out (because it runs on vista :madd:) I'll reset it to it's factory settings, and then install windows 7.

If you refuse to listen to what I'm saying, that I can't help you...

Like MindoverMaster said, reinstalling the OS won't help the BIOS password issue. BIOS =/= Windows. You have to either clear the BIOS or send it in to get it to work. I've seen this issue before.

Have you tried all of those passwords that I linked you to? Have you tried the CmosPwd link that I gave you? Have you tried to look for the BIOS battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom