Windows not recognizing all of installed RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifePro

Beta member
Windows is not recognizing both of my memory sticks.
-BIOS has been updated
-BIOS recognizes both sticks
-Windows has been updated
-msconfig, "max memory" and "number of processors" unchecked
-RAM also passed MemTest
-Reseated and no signs of physical damage

When I go into system it shows 4 gb installed, however CPU-Z shows that i'm currently in dual channel mode. I have even went as far to check my motherboard test report to see if my memory is compatible, and everything checks out. I'm am unsure what to do past this point to troubleshoot this any further. Any ideas, anyone?

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium
8gb (2x4) Ripjaw G.SKILL
MSI X58A-GD45 mainboard
Intel i7 quad core

Try running Memtest again, this time, each of the two RAM sticks independently. Run at least 2 passes each.

Also, try one piece of RAM in each slot at a time. If one doesn't fully boot up, you have a bad slot. If this happens, you can still be in dual channel while using slot 2/4.

how are the sticks laid out in your mobo, you need to have them in the right slots for the mobo to see them.
Check your mobo manual, and if they are correctly set do the memtest

They are laid out in the right slots according to the manual and ill run mem test again. We'll see how that goes. I'm hoping it is just a bad stick.

Well my computer is working again, all 8bg showing. I changed up the config from what is listed in the book by putting it in some different DIMM slotts....success!. I'm glad all my problems are usually the easy ones and I do appreciate everyone's imput.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom