New Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentobaku

In Runtime
Hey guys, I am a backyard PC Tech. I have an old Dell. I want to upgrade the cpu.

System Specs
Dell Inspiron 530
Processor is a LGA775 Intel Core2 6320 @1.8ghz, want to go to 3.4ghz
PSU Antec 780w
8g DDR2 SDRAM
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti
500g SATA II WD
2TB SATA II WD
Windows 7 Ultimate

Now after researching a bit online i saw there was two mobo's for this model Dell. I have the mobo 0RY007. According to another forum this will not support a Quad core. But i wanted to double check here cause I trust you all an plus if you read this mobo is supposed to have an 4gb limit but it runs 8g great.

1st will this hold a quad?
2nd what cpu do you suggest?
3rd when I get the new cpu I am just goin to do a fresh install cause everything i have read says its much easier, plus its been over a year since reinstalled and seems this would be a good time too. Will I have to do anything special or just pop out old cpu and pop in new? (have build pc's from scratch, including cpu, but never replaced).

Thanx for any help guys.

This is the CPU I am currently eying up: Intel BX80571E6800 Pentium Dual-Core E6800 Processor - 3.33GHz, Socket 775, 2MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual Core, Retail CPU w/ Fan

Any info would be good, like I said i am a backyard techy so I dont know what i am looking for in cpu's go i just can maintain and repair stuff.

And before anyone suggest buying anything else is not an option, new mobo means new ram and new windows at this point. only have about $100 to spend.

I would consider an am2 quad core Phenom II and a new am2 ddr2 matx board. All could be had for aprox $100. I'm assuming your current board is ddr2. And if you intend to reinstall windows that's fine but in most cases you can swap the board and cpu without requiring a reformat.

I would consider an am2 quad core Phenom II and a new am2 ddr2 matx board. All could be had for aprox $100. I'm assuming your current board is ddr2. And if you intend to reinstall windows that's fine but in most cases you can swap the board and cpu without requiring a reformat.

Where? Newegg has the OEM version of the Phenom II X4 925 for $90. Then you'd have to buy a heatsink, and a new motherboard. Even going with an Athlon II X4 or X3 would be over his budget. Even the Athlon II X2 260 is beat out by the E6800.

According to the Dell website, it WILL support Core 2 Quads, probably with a BIOS update? My suggestion would be to save up a few more dollars, and get a Core 2 Quad, and be done with upgrading for a LITTLE while. You should be able to get a Q8200 for around $130 max?

Where? Newegg has the OEM version of the Phenom II X4 925 for $90. Then you'd have to buy a heatsink, and a new motherboard. Even going with an Athlon II X4 or X3 would be over his budget. Even the Athlon II X2 260 is beat out by the E6800.

According to the Dell website, it WILL support Core 2 Quads, probably with a BIOS update? My suggestion would be to save up a few more dollars, and get a Core 2 Quad, and be done with upgrading for a LITTLE while. You should be able to get a Q8200 for around $130 max?

Well to be sub 100 on a phenom II you need to get it from ebay however here is a quad core and board for less than $100... Your TigerDirect.com Shopping Cart and you can get a heatsink for $10-20.

Thomas, as stated new mobo means new ram, then it become a $200 upgrade not $100

95BlackGA, this is the post i read. I just want to be absolutely sure before i do this. I can get a medium quad cheaper than a large double. but if it cant be done then w/e. is there a way i can check the computer? CPUZ something?

You would have to check what your BIOS supports. See if there's a changelog on Dell's website for the different versions. Check which BIOS version you have compared to the newest on Dell's site as well.

You would have to check what your BIOS supports. See if there's a changelog on Dell's website for the different versions. Check which BIOS version you have compared to the newest on Dell's site as well.

This IS what you will have to do. I looked through a couple, but didn't see anything about what CPU's were actually being supported with new BIOS. You may have to contact Dell about it.

I am running the newest BIOS 1.0.18. I have looked around but seriously I dont really know what I am looking for. At this point I am really leaning toward just getting a x2 to be safe. But if it can hold an x4 that would be awesome cause I could actually go a bit slower x4 and get more through put than i have now and it would cost less than the top speed x2. I know the specs page says I have a 4g max RAM, but after updating it runs 8g. So I am wondering if the processor would be the same.

Edit: So i called Dell and basically they tell me they cant tell me anything about it unless I have the service code. (which don't i transplanted pc into gammer case) Then he proceeds to tell me you cant upgrade processors you have to upgrade the mobo and proceeds to try to sell me a new pc.

Thomas, as stated new mobo means new ram, then it become a $200 upgrade not $100

95BlackGA, this is the post i read. I just want to be absolutely sure before i do this. I can get a medium quad cheaper than a large double. but if it cant be done then w/e. is there a way i can check the computer? CPUZ something?

NO it does not. You are running ddr2 at present and I showed you a quad core and ddr2 board for $99 So you CAN USE YOUR EXISTING MEMORY. TOTAL COST $99 to get a quad core cpu and new board. And again this uses the memory you have now.

It would take a AM3/AM2+/AM2 board to reuse the DDR2 with an AMD quad. I used two of these with my wife's and her mom's computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom