Next build. RAM/PSU question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

In Runtime
I'm back, time for the next build. My other one is quite outdated.
So, I know most of what I want. Ish. (And, I've switched from Intel to AMD, ;P)

Motherboard
CPU
Video
HDD
Monitor
PSU
RAM (x1)

I don't really know what kind of wattage I need from the PSU, so I'm kinda just hoping for a good guess.

I've also heard a lot of back and forth about DDR3 RAM when you don't have an i7. Seems most people I know say don't even bother, I just don't understand how it's so popular.

And of course I'm open to all other suggestions.

Scratch the WD Green drive for now. The Green drives save energy but are slow. Grab a smaller Black drive.

Thanks Trotter, didn't realize that.
And Slaymate, I'm planning on future upgrades, so I was definitely looking for something like CORSAIR, and I like that one.

I have an old IDE HDD that has most of my data on it right now, so I know that will get retired. Is there something I can do to hook it up until I can pull off files?

So I guess I'll be going with DDR3, as far as 1333: 10600, 10660, and 10666, does it really matter?

Okay, I think it's done. Any final input?

Also: This should do the trick for allowing me to continue using an IDE HDD, correct? (I already have the power adapter)

I don't believe that adapter will work because it is for plugging a SATA drive into an IDE cable. Not the other way around. I may be wrong though so you should get confirmation from a more experienced member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom