Where do I start? (Overclocking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I shut my computer off and turned the little dial on my motherboard about two clicks higher, then I went into my BIOs and changed the frequency multiplier to 17.5x I have a few questions now

1. For bus speed and HT link, do I have to change the multipliers for those? Or is it just Core speed? (I went from 3.2 - 3.5ghz)

2/3. For number 2. you'll notice my load is 57% and 28%, this is when I first booted up I only had task manager cpu-z and core temp running along with some background things and in number 3. you can see spikes, is this normal? I dont recall my CPU usage being that high before when I first started up

Oh silly me. Everything is back to 1 - 3%.. I'm assuming while I was checking the load, all my programs were still loading up from restarting my computer.. Disregard 2/3

EDIT: While idling my CPU went up 43c, but it seems to be sitting at 38

Your computer will usually be doing some type of a task even at an idle so your temps will always fluctuate a little.

You need to Load test your overclock to see if it's stable. I recommend LinX or Prime95 and you need to monitor your temperatures. I'm not up on modern AMD cpu's but your max. temps should be in the low 60C range.

After doing a little research I downloaded AMD Overdrive and benchmarked/stability tested it, I got up to 4.0ghz but my computer BSOD'd so I lowered it to 3.8, no problems so far.

Thing is, I changed the voltage to 1.425 when I went up to 4 ghz, but when I lowered it back to 3.8 I put the voltage frequency back to defaults.

I MUST RESEARCH MORE!

I was only using overdrive for the tests, I put everything back to default in overdrive wrote down the numbers, restarted and punched the numbers in the bios

I've tried using software based overclocking tools and the results rarely work reliably when used through the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom