Disk cloning gone bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandino

Beta member
I had cloned my original OS (Win 7 Ultimate) including all programs and settings, with the purpose of moving everything to a bigger drive, after I did that my system had dual boot without my intervention, (I used Ghost 15 for the cloning)after that happened every time I tried to update or install certain programs I would get a message that the windows installer could not be accessed (error 1601) After having this conflicts I decided to format the original drive that I had cloned, with the intent to keep it as a storage drive,and boot to the larger disk where the cloned image was, I did that but now my system goes to the logging page and after I input the password and accepts it it gives me the message that it is preparing my desktop but it goes to a pale blue background and nothing happens, Can anybody please help?

Can you log into Safe Mode?

I found this on the error 1601

Microsoft Answers said:
This problem may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
The Windows Installer files that are on your hard disk are damaged or are missing.
You install or remove a program that uses the Windows Installer Microsoft Software Installation (MSI) package file (.msi). For example, this may occur when you try to install Microsoft Office on your computer.

Let us try the below methods.

Method 1: To check whether the Windows Installer service is set to a value of Disable
Click Start, type services.msc in the start search box and press enter.
In the Services (Local) list, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Properties.
If the Startup type drop-down list is set to a value of Disable, select the Manual option from the Startup type drop-down list.
Click on Start button below the heading service status and click OK.

Method 2: Re-register the windows installer
Click Start, open the run box (windows key +R)
Type msiexec.exe /unreg and click ok.
If you receive a confirmation message, click OK again.
Click Start, open the run box (windows key +R)
Type msiexec /regserver and click ok.
If you receive a confirmation message, click OK again.
Try to install the application and see if the issue persists.
If you still get the error then try next method.

Method 3

Download the latest version of windows installer and install It on your computer.

Windows Installer 4.5 is available

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt (Right click run as Admin)>sfc /scannow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom