Building a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update I won't be able to build my rig, I had to put the tax refund into savings/bills because I got laid off. I went ahead and bought a new video card, an XFX Radeon HD 5770. Hoping it will be enough to get my PC back up and running. When I'm back on my feet I guess I'll try again for a new rig, luckily I was still living at home and hadn't moved out just yet so I have a place to stay till then. I'm hoping worst case scenario is I'll just need to buy a new motherboard too, should be too bank breaking, could get a good mobo for like $80 and it still be upgradeable/compatible with socket AM3 CPUs.

I'm thinking of piecing a new rig together pay check by pay check. Just ordered a 5770 and sadly the 6790 went down to the same price almost immediately after I bought it, oh well. I'm thinking I'd probably be better off by NOT putting the 5770 into my PC since they left the stand offs out and the motherboard itself is probably fried/damaged in some way or another. I'm thinking this check I'll get a motherboard and some RAM then next check I'll get a CPU and be done with it, reuse my old case, PSU, hard drives and dvd burner like I had planned from the get go.

I'm limiting myself to only spending $80-100 on the motherboard and $80 on the RAM. Can anyone tell me if this will do well for a gaming rig:

Newegg.com - MSI 870S-G46 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

It looks good to me but you guys are the pros. Also lemme know if you can find a good set of RAM for around $80, looking to get 8GB. Thanks.

I think I'm going to go with this combo for the mobo and ram.

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

How's that look? All I'll need next will be a decent CPU.

RAM ordered, 8GB for $59.99 shipped, sounds good to me. Will get the mobo next then the CPU and I should be set, sans the OS. Anyone know where I can BUY a LEGIT copy of Windows 7 64 bit edition from? Please no PMs or "nudges" into downloading a pirated version of it, I don't do that.

Newegg usually offers a CPU & Windows 7 combo deal

Oh? That's news to me, thanks for the heads up.

Also do Black Editions come with cooling fans these days or do you still have to buy your own?

Edit: Nevermind I see that they DO include the heatsinks and fans, sorry.

Thanks for the link, Slaymate. Really appreciate it. I can't decide if I want a Quad Core or a Hexa Core. Would there be any improvement between going from a 3.7GHz Quad Core to 3.3GHz Hexa Core? I know I could always overclock it.

For gaming I don't see the point in a AMD Hexa Core. Games are just starting to use 4 cores somewhat efficiently so you end up paying for two cores that are rarely if ever utilized properly and the four cores that would be used are running/operating slower. I recommend buying the fastest Quad core you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom