PC Boot-up Problems... Suddenly Fixed Itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeGeeGin

Beta member
Okay, so I was programming on my PC, then I decided to shut it off and go take a shower. After I got out of the shower, I remembered that I needed to sync my iPhone, so I pressed to power button. The front led and fans lit up for under a second and the computer failed to power on. I do not know what happened, so I tried it a couple of more times... Bad mistake? So I read online that it could have been the PSU, but it has worked fine for the past 1 1/2 years, and the new parts I just bought and put together worked fine for the 30 days that I had them.

Sometime during this frustration, I read that the PSU has a 115 and a 230 red switch on the back of it. Not knowing what that really did, I switched it up to 230... The PC then turned on, but the power had always been on 115, so how could this have happened...

Now the worst part, the POST failed at the CPU. I have an ASUS motherboard which has leds all over it to tell you what component is being tested. I thought the CPU was getting overloaded with power, so I just turned it off and then tried another technique. Plug 8-pin connector into the CPU spot on the motherboard... Did not work. So I reverted back to everything (230 to 115, 4-pin connector) and just turned left the computer off for about 5 hours.

When I arrived home, I decided to give it one last shot before I claimed that it was a bad part. Guess what, it turned on and passed the POST and booted Windows, so now here I am posting this thread.

Can someone please explain to me what just happened???

How can anyone possibly explain what has happened when we don't have a clue as to what your system specs are, what version of Windows you use, what programs you use, of you have an infection or not and so on.

You give us this information and expect an explination as to why it happened? You would be better off asking about super string theory.

Sorry but no way anyone on the planet could possibly explain it. The best we can say is that the machine was hot and needed cool down time. Maybe the PSU reset itself. We don't know and can't possibly know.

Okay, so I was programming on my PC, then I decided to shut it off and go take a shower. After I got out of the shower, I remembered that I needed to sync my iPhone, so I pressed to power button. The front led and fans lit up for under a second and the computer failed to power on. I do not know what happened, so I tried it a couple of more times... Bad mistake? So I read online that it could have been the PSU, but it has worked fine for the past 1 1/2 years, and the new parts I just bought and put together worked fine for the 30 days that I had them.

Sometime during this frustration, I read that the PSU has a 115 and a 230 red switch on the back of it. Not knowing what that really did, I switched it up to 230... The PC then turned on, but the power had always been on 115, so how could this have happened...

Now the worst part, the POST failed at the CPU. I have an ASUS motherboard which has leds all over it to tell you what component is being tested. I thought the CPU was getting overloaded with power, so I just turned it off and then tried another technique. Plug 8-pin connector into the CPU spot on the motherboard... Did not work. So I reverted back to everything (230 to 115, 4-pin connector) and just turned left the computer off for about 5 hours.

When I arrived home, I decided to give it one last shot before I claimed that it was a bad part. Guess what, it turned on and passed the POST and booted Windows, so now here I am posting this thread.

Can someone please explain to me what just happened???
i had this same problem with my old dell, turns out the mobo went bad. i really hope thats not the case with this issue \: like KSoD said, it's difficult to understand your problems without all the specs.

The switch should never be put on the 230 setting unless you are over seas in the UK or someplace where they use a 220 line. In the US and if I am not mistaken Canada we all use 110 lines so that should always be on the 115 setting.

I am surprised his PSU turned on at 220, since the PSU is expecting 220 at that point and not 50% less....

Turning it to 220 wont usually break anything, but, usually the PSU won't turn on either... But, you said it didn't work at 110, but worked at 220, could be an issue with the PSU it self, a lot of them check for a load, well, going to 220, and having only half the power needed, the PSU will be under a heavy load...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom