KaeGiacona

Beta member
Came as:
Socket 939
Windows XP (32 Bit)
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ 2.20 GHz 2000 MHz FSB 512 KB L2 Cable
200 GB ATA Hard Drive
1024 MB DDR SDRAM Dual Channel

I recently replaced the Processor with an exact match of what it had, which got me thinking how high can I go with out dealing with power issues/over clocking/over heating?

I also, added 1GB of RAM which as far as I understand has kicked it out of dual channel mode, so I plan on replacing the two 512's with 1GB and adding an extra to give me 4GB, I understand XP (32) will only see 3GB, but just to get 3 in dual channel I figured I'd put 4 in there ...

but my main question is, how high on the processor can I go?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

oh and I'm sure I said something dumb in there ... I'm not retarded, just not all that versed in this stuff... thanks...

I found a thread elsewhere that had a guy who upgraded to a X2 4400. he did not say whether he updated the BIOS or not, but I would update it to the latest version before I upgraded. Once you install a new CPU Windows will install new drivers and have to reboot but that should be it.

word up Thanks for the info. I dont even need to go that high, I just wanna jump up some... The comp still works fine, its just super sluggish...

I have two 512's and one 1GB for Ram, until I can get a hold of 3 more 1GBs ... is 1GB in dual channel faster than 2GB not in dual channel?

If you have a graphics card in the mix then you should go with 2x512MB and 2x1GB for a total of 3GB. For right now you would better served running the 2x512MB without the 1GB for the speed bump.

If you are using a OEM install of Windows you may have a licensing problem changing the CPU. I don't remember if that was the case with XP. I know you have problems with Vista and 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom