FreeNAS no longer sees storage pool, 1TB of data gone, rebuild pool or recover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
My server was off for two months straight. I booted it up for the first time about an hour ago. Logged into the WebUI and what do I find? Under Disk Space Usage it says "No disk configured". I check the log and FreeNAS knows they're there.

I have 2x 1TB WD Blues in a RAID1 ZFS Pool, although now according to FreeNAS, there is no longer a pool. I can go to disk management and mount the disks, so I'm able work with it that way.

However I just got back from BMT for the AF and I've forgot just about everything I knew about FreeNAS and getting around in the WebUI.

I've looked around on the interwebz and haven't came across an incident quite like this, so I would sincerely appreciate some help with this on what route to take next. Can I rebuild a storage pool or just initialize a disk and have my data still be there? Or do I skip that and go straight to recovering the data?

Well, even though I don't understand advance raid configuration setup for a server like you do and others here.
I do recommend you start the backup procedure when you get a chance to prevent problems.
If my recent testing serves me right, if you don't have the server active during the day why not do a differential backup method ?
If you have stuff being changed often I recommend you do this while it's very quite all day. :)

That's the problem. I don't know a ton about FeeNAS yet or ZFS storage pools. Can I simply pop a hard drive out, connect it to my laptop, and back up/recover it that way? I've got software to recovery data if need be, I'm just not sure what step I should take first. I didn't think I'd get many responses as I didn't think we have any FreeNAS/ZFS pool gurus on these forums...

I am very sorry I could have not been much more helpfull, but atleast somebody tried to knock this in with something to get things rolling.
About hooking up to a laptop or computer, thats kind of iffy I think depends on what OS yiy have installed on your hdd and seing if the program will let you in or not. :p

FreeNAS forum • Index page
This should be much more usefull to you and I'm sure you'll get answer there rather quickly.
Let us know what happens, and to see if we can help out or not.

I sincerely appreciate your input! At first when I checked some posts on there just after it happened, I overlooked a few things haha. It was just a matter of restoring the ZFS configuration file. I'm not sure what had happened, if FreeNAS just had a brain fart or what, but all is well now thankfully! I meant to get an external hard drive before I left for a back up and put it at an offsite location, I just never got around to it. But you can bet after this headache, I'm picking up a WD 2TB Blue and an enclosure next pay day haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom