Mineral Oil Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipp1234567

In Runtime
i was considering on purchasing Mineral Oil to cooldown my computer more, or buy a Mineral Oil Case to keep it cool. my computer never goes to full load, but i keep it on for atleast 12hours a day and i would like to maintain increase and maintain its lifespan....
Is it worth 400$ to buy a case from here:

Mineral Oil Submerged Computer; Our Most Popular Custom PC

or should i buy an epic heatsink and buy water cooling? if i get water cooling, is it possible for me to mess up the installation and spill water everywhere?

Mineral oil does some interesting things to pc parts after time, say six months to a year. It will surely shorten the life of your pc. Can't recommend this after reading so many complaints of the oil damaging the parts after some time.

Never will you need to do that. People make air cooling look like the bad guy but it is extremely good for normal use like your saying, if your doing a good bit of overclocking liquid cooling is a good idea. But submerging the entire system for $400 when that is going to damage your comp, no.

An uncommon practice is to submerge the computer's components in a thermally conductive liquid. Personal computers that are cooled in this manner do not generally require any fans or pumps, and may be cooled exclusively by passive heat exchange between the computer's parts, the cooling fluid and the ambient air. Extreme component density supercomputers such as the Cray-2 and Cray T90 used additional liquid to chilled liquid heat exchangers in order to facilitate heat removal.

The liquid used must have sufficiently low electrical conductivity in order for it not to interfere with the normal operation of the computer's components. If the liquid is somewhat electrically conductive, it may be necessary to insulate certain parts of components susceptible to electromagnetic interference, such as the CPU. For these reasons, it is preferred that the liquid be dielectric.

Liquids commonly used in this manner include various liquids invented and manufactured for this purpose by 3M, such as Fluorinert. Various oils, including but not limited to cooking, motor and silicone oils have all been successfully used for cooling personal computers.

Evaporation can pose a problem, and the liquid may require either to be regularly refilled or sealed inside the computer's enclosure. Liquid may also slowly seep into and damage components, particularly capacitors, causing an initially functional computer to fail after hours or days immersed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom