High End Gaming PC - Help/Advice Plase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akushi22

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,

My current computer has gotten to the point where it can't do the kind of gaming and deliver the preformance I want from it. After doing some research, I've concluded that buying parts and building a new machine myself will give me more bang for my buck than to buy a pre-assembled one.

Now, the problem is, as someone new to this, I don't really know what kind of stuff I should be getting. I've done some research online, but had a lot of different results. So I'm mostly looking for builds or suggestions I can consider before making a final choice.

I'm looking to build:
-A high end gaming PC
-Want an Intel chipset
-Want the ability to run games (Crysis, ect) on the highest settings
-A computer than can game while other programs are running in the background
-Multi-monitor support preffered, but not a deal breaker
-Prefer ATI graphics card over Nvidia, unless there's some strong arguments for Nvidia, in which case I'll consider it.

I have a budget of about $2000-$2500 Canadian. I don't need any optical drives, as I'll be taking those out of my current box, and I already have 7.1 capable speakers, a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. So all I need is a box (but once again, no DVD/Blueray drives)

Any help/insight/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Akushi22

I wouldn't buy either of those power supplies. The system components I see listed will work with a good 600w power supply and still have some spare room.

This is $74.99 after a rebate plus it has an extra 10% off if you use the Promo Code PSU624 by June 30.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

If you just want some extra power then this is $99.99 after a rebate plus it has an extra 10% off if you use the Promo Code PSU624 by June 30.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

I think it's more about the quality of the supply. The Corsair builder series have not been up to the same standards as pc power and cooling or seasonic. This can be verified at jonnyguru and many other sites. I agree he doesn't need that much power but that is no reason to get a budget supply for a high end rig.

I think it's more about the quality of the supply. The Corsair builder series have not been up to the same standards as pc power and cooling or seasonic. This can be verified at jonnyguru and many other sites. I agree he doesn't need that much power but that is no reason to get a budget supply for a high end rig.

None of the Corsair power supplies that have been linked to are Builder Series. The two I suggested are the TX series which are excellent power supplies.

Akushi, the motherboard that was linked utilizes Dual Channel RAM kits, while the kit you linked would work you'd lose the increased bandwidth from dual channel.
8GB is plenty for what it sounds like you'll be doing. If you're worried about it I'd suggest running it with 8GB then make up your mind if you're using it all, then just get another 8GB kit if so.

Akushi, the motherboard that was linked utilizes Dual Channel RAM kits, while the kit you linked would work you'd lose the increased bandwidth from dual channel.
8GB is plenty for what it sounds like you'll be doing. If you're worried about it I'd suggest running it with 8GB then make up your mind if you're using it all, then just get another 8GB kit if so.

Okay, makes sence to me. I'll just run with the 8, and then if for some reason I need more (which I doubt), I can just throw a second 8 in with that board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom