Cannot Boot Computer, bootmanger failure??!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltraskoo

Baseband Member
So I had my own built computer for over a year now, running fine. One day, I decided to try to swap my gts 450 with a gtx 260, which didn't work. I said, fine, I'll just put the gts 450 back in.
After I put the gts 450 back in, my computer stops working. I turn on my computer, no noise, no startup.

After reworking the RAM (taking it out and putting it back in) it gets a start up screen.
So firstly, just by attempting to replace my Video Card, my RAM gets ****ed up....

After I get the start up screen, it tells me that boot manager is corrupt.So now, just by a video card exchange attempt, my boot manager is ****ed up.

Now I restarted the computer several times, and the computer doesn't even start up 1/3 of the time, it turns on, no noise, no startup.

The other 2/3 of the time, the start up goes to my hardware monitor (normal), but because I have my OEM disk in (because I need to reinstall windows), it brings me up to a Windows is Loading Files screen. There is a completion bar, but the bar never goes to full, saying some error message that my HDD or CD Drive is failing, or some other BS. Either that happens, or it just freezes during the loading files stage, it goes a tick every second, but then stops, and stays there for 5 minutes plus. Either that, or my computer just starts a loud constant beeping (lost my pc handbook so IDK what that beeping means).

If I startup w/o the OEM CD, it just says bootmanger is corrupt.

So this is absolutely ridiculous I just try to switch a video card, and my entire computer basically dies. Then when I try to fix it, instead of a constant thing happening (e.g. just one of the things of the four I said keeps happening), it turns up 4 different things, making it much harder to fix.

Steps towards fixing
So far due to potential HDD failure as suggested by Windows, I replaced my HDD, which did nothing. I redid RAM, did nothing.

So my question is:
How do I fix it?
How in the world did my computer die due to a video card exchange?

EDIT: Great, started it up, and now it brings me a 5th different thing, instead of a biostar bios starting up, American Megatrends starts up... and says CMOS Checksum bad. What the **** is going on?

EDIT2: REALLY? A 6th thing popped up, now there is a single beep, and there is a 7 second pause between each one.

Firstly, do you have any other PCI cards installed in your motherboard? I had a similar issue. I replaced everything in my system through warranties (my CPU, mobo, RAM, GPU, everything but HDD, PSU and optical drives), and still would do it. Then it dawned on me I had left my PCI cards in during all of these attempts at boot. So I pulled both of them out, and the computer booted. Installed one at a time until I found out it was my soundcard that was the culprit (in any PCI slot).

Sounds more like something just got bumped while you were in there. Take your time and make sure everything is plugged in snugly. Remove and reseat your vid card and ram to make sure it is snug. The missing boot mgr sounds like what happens when the pc is trying to boot from a different drive. How many drives do you have? If you have more than one the boot mgr could be associated with a drive other than the one with the os on it so correcting the boot order becomes tricky. Also if your handling things without grounding yourself there is a chance the ram became damaged by static discharge. Download memtest and make a cd to boot from and test the ram if that fails you found your problem.

Will make sure everything is snug, same problems over and over again. The replacement of the HDD drive proves that nothing is wrong with my HDD, so I will scratch that out. My GPU has a problem with not being snug, will place a paper clip to hold it up (don't ask how).
The thing is it says WIndows is loading files, but just freezes after a certain point (at 2-3 different points).

WHat does CMOS Checksum Bad mean

That means the BIOS settings are bad/corrupt. Reset your BIOS settings by unplugging your computer from power, press the power button a few times to drain excess power, then remove the silver coin battery on your motherboard for about 10 seconds. Pop it back in, plug computer back in, and turn it back on.

Yes, start with a bios reset and if your problem persists run memtest next as your "hanging" on install sounds like memory errors.

as much as I hate to, I am bringing this thing to the firing range tomorrow, maybe that will make it work.

Just Kidding. Interestingly, while I was making everything snug, I noticed took out all RAM but one module, it worked. Then I put the rest back in ( I have 4), it didn't work. I then placed each one of them one by one (start up, shut down, put one in...repeat) and then it worked. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom