New HHD Advice/Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
So I am thinking that my current HDD's are gone to crap... I am looking to get a boot/main drive then a back up/storage drive. I currently have a WD black 640 and a 1TB. I see a lot of new HDD's are 6.0 gb/s but my MB is a 2 year old EVGA so does that matter? Any suggestions on a new main drive and a storage drive? How about 2 of these: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive or maybe one of those and one of these: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Heh, HHD is a Hybrid Hard Drive, which is a crossover between a traditional Mechanical HD, and a SSD. You might want a mod to change that title.

Check if your motherboard is SATA 6 gb/s compatible. Revision 3. Sata 6 HDs will work fine on Sata 3 MoBos, but there will be performance/speed loss.

And if you want two of that 1st WD drive, WD make one that's pretty much exactly the same, except 2TB: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I would recommend the one I just linked, as it's got good reviews except people saying 'OMG DOA GAY 1 STAR' Which in my opinion, isn't based on the actual Hard Drive, just saying I don't care about performance, it's DOA so i give it 1 star >.>

I've just ordered it, and it should arrive within a month or two. :D

Yeah you should also, if you've got the money, invest in an SSD. Like the one Slaymate posted. Although if you want the fastest write/read timings, you should look for SATA III SSDs and HDDs. Again, SATA IIIs will work on SATA II MoBos, but there will be a performance/speed bottleneck.

Note that SATA III SSDs are more expensive.

Slay... so you just use that as the "Boot" drive with windows on it then store games on a backup 1tb drive I'm guessing?

Slay... so you just use that as the "Boot" drive with windows on it then store games on a backup 1tb drive I'm guessing?

Yes, but you can also put games on the SSD so they load quicker, and any programs you use a lot. Everything else goes onto the HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom