First build suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

valakas

Baseband Member
Alright this will be my first build, I'm a gamer, that's pretty much all I do on my computer besides browse the internet. I don't think anything in my current computer is useable. Hard drive is 80g IDE and video card is an AGP, 300w power supply, cd rom is IDE, and the case is junk.

I don't have a few grand to throw at a new computer and Ive been looking around for quite some time. I'm not set in stone on any parts and my budget is $600-$800.

I have never over clocked tho I am interested in messing around with it some, however its not necessary for build. I also have no interest in raid. A new monitor would be nice if I can squeeze it in(13" lcd at the moment) .

Case: Looks like it has great reviews and great cooling.
Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

CPU: From what Ive been reading it over clocks easily close to 4.0
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Mobo: Been looking at the 800 series. Not really sure if I need sata 6, usb 3, tho 2 pci 2.0 would be nice to have the option to cross fire in the future tho not a must have.

Ram: Not really sure ive looked at alot of ram and think i would like to go with 2-2gig sticks of some sort of G-Skill.

PSU: No idea really figured I would only need like a 600w but they're so many out there and from buying guides it seems majority are junk or more than you need.

Video Card: I hear xfx is a great brand and have great warranty's so Id prefer to stick with them
Newegg.com - XFX HD-679X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6790 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Disk Drive: anything that can install programs basically ive seen a bunch for $20 that all seem to do all I need it to do.

Hard Drive: Ive never had access to more than 80g so it seems that I will survive with anything more than that. Depending on Mobo sata 6 or 3 heres what i got.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD7500AALX 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
or
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I'm always looking at the combo deals on the egg tho after an hour I get so lost and confused trying to figure out how to save the most money for what I want I end up going crazy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated it. I look forward to playing a game that isn't running on the lowest possible settings!

You've got the basics there. You might aswell go for a board with sata 6gig and usb 3 for longevity. I'd spend in around, but under, $100.

PSU youre looking for a 600W, and as much amps as you can afford.

Wrelcome back.

I like your parts so far. I just built a computer for a friend with the amd black 955. It is a sweet processor and I had it OC at 3.9 easily. I am not very experienced with OC, but it was pretty easy. He didn't need it OC so I set it back to stock, but it was fun to mess with. Also another friend just got the same graphics card, looks to be performing well. If you can squeeze it in I would go for a Corsair power supply. They seem to be one of the best out there. All your other ideas seem good though. G-skill is a great memory producer so that is pretty solid. It always takes me awhile to decide on MOBO's because there is always one that pops up as I am about to buy one. I wish I could make a suggestion in the field, but I change my mind to often.

I like your parts so far. I just built a computer for a friend with the amd black 955. It is a sweet processor and I had it OC at 3.9 easily. I am not very experienced with OC, but it was pretty easy. He didn't need it OC so I set it back to stock, but it was fun to mess with. Also another friend just got the same graphics card, looks to be performing well. If you can squeeze it in I would go for a Corsair power supply. They seem to be one of the best out there. All your other ideas seem good though. G-skill is a great memory producer so that is pretty solid. It always takes me awhile to decide on MOBO's because there is always one that pops up as I am about to buy one. I wish I could make a suggestion in the field, but I change my mind to often.

I do the same thing picking out the mother board, it has been difficult.

Well the PSU has been a pain also.

I am with patonb. I would get a different power supply. PSU that are bundled with other items are generally cheap. And you can't run with out power, but you can kill with unstable power. Invest more to keep your computer safe.

Honestly, I would choose an Antec over a Corsair any day. Antec has earned its stripes by being solid year in and year out. I'm not saying Corsair is not as good but that it hasn't put in the blood and sweat like Antec has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom