Hard drive switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgrant1993

Solid State Member
okay, i just opened my Aspire 5100 ( Piece of **** it is ). I want to harvest it for parts into my Hp. This is my first time opening any laptop of any sort, and plan to keep doing it. I know how to take out and put in the hard drive. I just want to know if my Aspire 5100's hard drive with windows xp, will work on my HP laptop with windows 7? if so would that make my hp have windows 7? (should be simple to answer, its just a comprehension issue). Thanks =)

Do you want to install Windows 7 on it?
If so yeah there shouldn't be a problem, but the install with delete all your data so make sure to back it up.
If you want to just put a hard drive with an OS in a different PC and run that OS, odds are it won't work.

so your saying that if i take my hard drive with windows xp and replace it with my hard drive with windows 7. my Hp laptop with windows 7 will then have windows xp?

You can't take an HDD with XP or Win 7 on it and install it in a different laptop and expect it to work as it will require completely different drivers. You could swap the HDD and install whichever OS you want on it but a straight swap won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom