Which HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Been out of the loop for a lot of things lately, so I'm looking for some opinions.

My 1.5TB SeaGate has a bad block on it (not sure if its just one yet, or several and growing...running a chkdsk on a 1.5TB takes a while...), and I'm wanting to get a drive to back the data up onto so I can send it in for warranty.

Got it down to 2 choices though I think (unless there's another suggestion):
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

The Hitachi I believe has a promo code as well that'll make it around $60, but I'm not sure how good of quality it is...

I may try running SpinRite as well, but I would almost want to backup the data first.

Samsung has a better rep than Hitachi. Don't worry about the Samsung only being SATA 3.0 vs Hitachi being SATA 6.0, no mechanical drive can saturate the bus for SATA 3.0 let alone SATA 6.0. If you were considering a high end SSD then it mght make a difference.

Wasn't worried about the 3 vs 6; more-so brand reliability.

Chkdsk was taking forever (literally...started it last night, and was only partially done over lunch). Took it out, and put it in a machine to run Spinrite on it. Spinrite started on it, and started finding bad sectors in just the first few hundred sectors already.... Last I checked it said it had 107hrs remaining...lol. So we'll see if I let it continue, or just stop it and back everything up onto a different drive.

Any other drive recommendations?

A bit spendy for me; I don't need a Black edition, since it's just data storage (movies and music are on my current 1.5TB, and I just need to back it up over to there).

I have the Samsung F3 1TB, had it since last summer. Worked perfectly, nice and speedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom